17 Tips For Getting Balloons to Last Longer in Hot Weather
In warm weather, latex balloons will typically only last outside for a day. As you know, sun, wind and heat will
biodegrade the latex. With that said, however, there are tricks you can do to raise your odds of getting them to last more than a day outside.
1) Use only high quality balloons like Qualatex. I've also heard that some people have used Bellatex and Tilly balloons with some success. Quality makes a huge difference.
2) Avoid using latex balloons whenever possible. After a few days outside, we have seen them completely disintegrate when touched.
3) Qualatex' Polyurethane Duo balloons are designed for outdoor use. They will last longer and look better for extended
outdoor use than any latex or foil balloon. They are a bit more pricey but can really take away the headache of shrinking and
disintegrating balloons. For larger Duo balloons like 18", it may be cost effective to rent them. The Duo balloons can also be used
to leverage small latex balloons. Under inflate your smaller latex balloons and use the lift power of the big balloon to raise them.
4) Always under inflate to allow balloons to expand when absorbing heat. We've found the method that works best is to
over-inflate the balloon and then release air until the balloon is slightly under inflated. This helps the balloon to breathe and
expand more easily, and it is not as brittle. Under inflating does little good unless you over inflate first.
5) Use balloons two sizes larger than you would normally use.
6) Inflating balloons with the same temperature air as they will encounter outdoors can actually help to retain their shape better.
7) Helium does not work well outdoors in the heat. If you need to use helium-filled latex, try to use large balloons like 24"
and inflate to only around 16". Over- inflate with air first, release the air and then re-inflate with helium. You don't want to waste your helium when you pre-inflate.
8) After your balloons are inflated, consider applying a product called "Balloon Shine." It can protect your latex
balloons from the sun's UV rays. It's best to experiment with this days before to see if it will work.
9) While Hi-Float is used to make balloons float longer, it is not generally meant for outside use. If you want your balloons to
float longer outside, you should plan on doing daily touch-up work to your balloon arrangements. Be sure to include this in your budget.
10) Balloons simply will not last outdoors overnight. As the cold air shrinks the balloons and then they expand in the sun the
next day, they will pop like crazy. This can be avoided by simply bringing all balloons indoors in the evening.
11) Use white balloons as much as possible. They reflect the sun and fade less.
12) Avoid darker balloons. They will absorb heat and pop faster. If you need darker colors in your balloon decor, use ribbons to accent in a darker color.
13) Keep in mind that extreme heat speeds up the balloon leakage process. So, in temperatures close to 100 degrees, the
helium will escape much faster, drastically reducing float time. If you can find a way to shade balloons, it can slow the process, somewhat.
14) Do not use water to cool down balloons. As the water dries on the latex, it becomes slightly sticky. Balloons can stick
together causing them to pop as balloons they expand in the heat.
15) Mylar foil balloons last longer outdoors than latex. Just allow for normal expansion and shrinkage. The downside is that in
the hot sun the foil will not hold its color or sheen. There will be a noticeable difference by the end of the day.
16) Whenever possible, use some kind of framework to give your balloon decor structure that can withstand wind and heat. This
can also be helpful for helium-filled balloons that will lose float time in the heat.
17) We've found that if balloons are going to pop in the heat and sun, the will usually do so within the first hour. So, you'll
have a pretty good indication of whether it will work if you set up early.
While it can be difficult to do balloon decor outdoors in the heat, it is certainly not impossible. Just use the above tips to greatly improve your odds.
Passionate about advertising balloons, Kathryn
Parisse is editor of The Balloon Newsletter. Subscribe and get answers to all your balloon decor, twisting, and advertising questions at aBalloonaDay.com.
HOBBIES CRAFTS NEWS updated Wed. May / 22 / 2019
De Anda: Pick up new hobbies this summer Iowa State Daily
During the school year, one might get carried away with the long list of to-do's that never seem to end. You finish one assignment, and just when you think you.
Hobby Lobby opens in New Iberia KATC Lafayette News
Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available. Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.
New craft market comes to Ankerside Tamworth Informed
IN just a few days' time, Ankerside Shopping Centre will add a new offer to its line-up in the shape of a craft market, which will offer...
Community Calendar | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
MONDAY, APRIL 29 Kids Clothes Closet, 10 a.m. to noon, First United Methodist Church of Fredonia, 25 Church St. New, nearly new clothing, other items for chi.
Community Happenings for May 6-12 Johnson City Press (subscription)
Elizabethton Choral Club Spring Concert will be held tonight at 7:30 at First Baptist Church, 212 East F Street, Elizabethton. The concert is free, and the ...
Things to do in Pasco and Hernando counties Tampa Bay Times
For foodies. Taste of Pasco: The celebration of food from Pasco County will be from 4 to 7 p.m. April 27 at the Concourse Rotary Pavilion, 11919 Alric Pottberg ...
Humanities, crafts aren’t ‘hobbies’ Pune Mirror
They are food for the soul and can put food on your table, too. After decades of favouring technical academic subjects over the humanities, in fact pushing and ...
25 Crafts to Make and Sell for Profit Small Business Trends
Making crafts is a great creative outlet, but if you decide to monetize your creation what should you make? Here are 25 crafts to make and sell for profit.
Origami Boxes | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Learn to make traditional handmade Japanese origami gift boxes. Variations on square and rectangular shaped boxes will be emphasized.
Artful Aging | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
This art program is designed for any skill level! We will be exploring all artistic mediums (water color, pastels, acrylics) as we discuss cultural differences and ...
This 'N That Lewiston Sun Journal
TOPS. NORWAY — TOPS meets Tuesdays in the Association Hall at Town & Country Mobile Home Village, 99 Town & Country Drive, Norway. Weigh-in is from ...
How to Make Paper Snowflakes the Easy Way Real Simple
Whether you're making a Christmas garland or DIY window decorations, learning how to make paper snowflakes is the easiest way to make your home feel ...
Spring Candle Making | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Ring in Spring with DIY soy candles – perfect for treating yourself OR gifting to someone special for Mother's Day (coming up May 12th!) During this event you'll ...
Cycling Without Age | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Cycling Without Age is a movement started in Denmark, in 2012, by Ole Kassow. Ole wanted to help the elderly get back on their bicycles, but he had to find.
Art & Craft Fair | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Get a head start on your holiday shopping with over 100 vendors at American Family's annual Art & Craft Fair! This event is free and open to the public. There.
Art Spin "Collaborate" | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Bring your families and join us for an afternoon of hands-on fun! Our friends from the Very Special Artists (VSA) Wisconsin choir will serenade us as we use ...
Hobby Lobby closes Depew store Buffalo News
The Hobby Lobby store at 2090 George Urban Blvd in Depew has closed. Hobby Lobby has remaining stores at 6743 Transit Road in Lancaster, 3701 McKinley ...
I like crafting Newsday
Hobbies I enjoy are piano, writing, math, and swimming, but my favorite thing to do is crafts. I like to make miniature places like mini campsites out of paper, glue, ...
30 hobbies to try in 2019 in Asheville AVLtoday
Whenever we ask you (our readers) what you love about WNC, one of the biggest responses we hear is the range of things to do. From hiking + rock climbing to ...
Holiday Craft Fair | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
The annual St. Albert the Great Holiday Craft Fair will be held November 17, 2018 in Sun Prairie. This popular area craft fair features artists, crafters, vendors and ...
Hobby Lobby secrets | Everyday Cheapskate The Star Democrat
I was late to the party but somehow managed to catch up quickly. Up until about three years ago, I'd never stepped foot into one of the national chain's 800-plus.
Dark Magick: A creepy twist on crafts The New Hampshire
The leaves turn yellow, the air gets colder, Halloween creeps nearer, and the Dark Magick Arts and Crafts Faire returns to Portsmouth, NH, for its third year.
Hobby Lobby opens in Effingham | Local News Effingham Daily News
EFFINGHAM — Area residents have been waiting a long time for Hobby Lobby's grand opening, which happened Monday morning at its location at 1006 North ...
10 Hobbies You Can Turn Into a Side Hustle The Motley Fool
If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. It's an old truism repeated often for a reason. The average person spends around 90,000 hours at ...
Hobby Lobby to open Dec. 31 | Main Street Watauga Democrat
BOONE — After renovating over the majority of 2018, the craft and home decor store Hobby Lobby will be cutting the ribbon on its 50000-plus-square-foot Boone ...