17 Tips For Getting Balloons to Last Longer in Hot Weather
In warm weather, latex balloons will typically only last outside for a day. As you know, sun, wind and heat will
biodegrade the latex. With that said, however, there are tricks you can do to raise your odds of getting them to last more than a day outside.
1) Use only high quality balloons like Qualatex. I've also heard that some people have used Bellatex and Tilly balloons with some success. Quality makes a huge difference.
2) Avoid using latex balloons whenever possible. After a few days outside, we have seen them completely disintegrate when touched.
3) Qualatex' Polyurethane Duo balloons are designed for outdoor use. They will last longer and look better for extended
outdoor use than any latex or foil balloon. They are a bit more pricey but can really take away the headache of shrinking and
disintegrating balloons. For larger Duo balloons like 18", it may be cost effective to rent them. The Duo balloons can also be used
to leverage small latex balloons. Under inflate your smaller latex balloons and use the lift power of the big balloon to raise them.
4) Always under inflate to allow balloons to expand when absorbing heat. We've found the method that works best is to
over-inflate the balloon and then release air until the balloon is slightly under inflated. This helps the balloon to breathe and
expand more easily, and it is not as brittle. Under inflating does little good unless you over inflate first.
5) Use balloons two sizes larger than you would normally use.
6) Inflating balloons with the same temperature air as they will encounter outdoors can actually help to retain their shape better.
7) Helium does not work well outdoors in the heat. If you need to use helium-filled latex, try to use large balloons like 24"
and inflate to only around 16". Over- inflate with air first, release the air and then re-inflate with helium. You don't want to waste your helium when you pre-inflate.
8) After your balloons are inflated, consider applying a product called "Balloon Shine." It can protect your latex
balloons from the sun's UV rays. It's best to experiment with this days before to see if it will work.
9) While Hi-Float is used to make balloons float longer, it is not generally meant for outside use. If you want your balloons to
float longer outside, you should plan on doing daily touch-up work to your balloon arrangements. Be sure to include this in your budget.
10) Balloons simply will not last outdoors overnight. As the cold air shrinks the balloons and then they expand in the sun the
next day, they will pop like crazy. This can be avoided by simply bringing all balloons indoors in the evening.
11) Use white balloons as much as possible. They reflect the sun and fade less.
12) Avoid darker balloons. They will absorb heat and pop faster. If you need darker colors in your balloon decor, use ribbons to accent in a darker color.
13) Keep in mind that extreme heat speeds up the balloon leakage process. So, in temperatures close to 100 degrees, the
helium will escape much faster, drastically reducing float time. If you can find a way to shade balloons, it can slow the process, somewhat.
14) Do not use water to cool down balloons. As the water dries on the latex, it becomes slightly sticky. Balloons can stick
together causing them to pop as balloons they expand in the heat.
15) Mylar foil balloons last longer outdoors than latex. Just allow for normal expansion and shrinkage. The downside is that in
the hot sun the foil will not hold its color or sheen. There will be a noticeable difference by the end of the day.
16) Whenever possible, use some kind of framework to give your balloon decor structure that can withstand wind and heat. This
can also be helpful for helium-filled balloons that will lose float time in the heat.
17) We've found that if balloons are going to pop in the heat and sun, the will usually do so within the first hour. So, you'll
have a pretty good indication of whether it will work if you set up early.
While it can be difficult to do balloon decor outdoors in the heat, it is certainly not impossible. Just use the above tips to greatly improve your odds.
Passionate about advertising balloons, Kathryn
Parisse is editor of The Balloon Newsletter. Subscribe and get answers to all your balloon decor, twisting, and advertising questions at aBalloonaDay.com.
HOBBIES CRAFTS NEWS updated Sat. February / 16 / 2019
Humanities, crafts aren’t ‘hobbies’ Pune Mirror
They are food for the soul and can put food on your table, too. After decades of favouring technical academic subjects over the humanities, in fact pushing and ...
Open Media Lab | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
The Media Lab at Central Library is a free space to explore digital media production in the realms of stop motion animation, 3D world design, green screen video ...
Community Calendar | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
MONDAY, FEB. 11 Kids Clothes Closet, 10 a.m. to noon, First United Methodist Church of Fredonia, 25 Church St. New, nearly new clothing, other items for ...
Audrey M. Mirt Front Page
Audrey Mae (Barkand) Mirt, 89, of Connellsville, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2019, at the Walnut Ridge Memory Care Center, Greensburg.
What Will Your New Hobby Cost? mix941kmxj.com
We've all said I need a hobby. Maybe we even tried one and then...stopped. A new survey says the average person sticks with a hobby for 16 months and stops.
Estelle “MawMaw” Richard - Port Arthur News The Port Arthur News
Estelle “MawMaw” Richard, 64 of Port Arthur, went to be with the Lord on January 23, 2019, surrounded by her family. She was born on October 27, 1954 to her ...
Halifax staff to explore car boot regulation TheChronicleHerald.ca
The boot could soon be on the other foot for parking enforcement. That works for Don White of Dartmouth, who had his truck fitted with two immobilization boots ...
5 Business Ideas for Stay at Home Moms Times Square Chronicles
As a mom, it can be difficult to balance your work life as well as your responsibilities as a mother. But by starting a business from home, you are always around ...
Art & Craft Fair | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Get a head start on your holiday shopping with over 100 vendors at American Family's annual Art & Craft Fair! This event is free and open to the public. There.
Appy Hour | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Join us every second Wednesday of the month to learn about useful, fun, and free applications you can download to your smart device.
I like crafting Newsday
Hobbies I enjoy are piano, writing, math, and swimming, but my favorite thing to do is crafts. I like to make miniature places like mini campsites out of paper, glue, ...
Bike Traffic Skills | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Free class taught by UW Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator Chuck Strawser. Learn the basics of vehicular cycling and keep yourself safe and comfortable while ...
EAA Skiplane Fly-In | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
One of the area's most colorful events of the season returns for its 27th year. The annual EAA Skiplane Fly-In, will be held on Saturday, February 9, from 10:00 ...
Holiday Craft Fair | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
The annual St. Albert the Great Holiday Craft Fair will be held November 17, 2018 in Sun Prairie. This popular area craft fair features artists, crafters, vendors and ...
Hobby Lobby to open Dec. 31 | News Watauga Democrat
BOONE — After renovating over the majority of 2018, the craft and home decor store Hobby Lobby will cut the ribbon on its 50000-plus-square-foot Boone ...
Hobby Lobby closes Depew store Buffalo News
The Hobby Lobby store at 2090 George Urban Blvd in Depew has closed. Hobby Lobby has remaining stores at 6743 Transit Road in Lancaster, 3701 McKinley ...
10 Hobbies You Can Turn Into a Side Hustle The Motley Fool
If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. It's an old truism repeated often for a reason. The average person spends around 90,000 hours at ...
Giving away yarn can be fun MyCentralJersey.com
It appears now that I don't have any of that smokey yarn from Sarah left, people from knitting groups are finally...
Hobby Lobby secrets | Everyday Cheapskate The Star Democrat
I was late to the party but somehow managed to catch up quickly. Up until about three years ago, I'd never stepped foot into one of the national chain's 800-plus.
Community Notebook | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
FRIDAY, FEB. 1 Literacy Volunteer book sale, 21 E. Second St., Dunkirk, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds benefit adult literacy programs. Blessed Mary Angela Par.