Pets Information Channel:
More free online ebooks tips articles:
Advertising | Affiliate revenue sharing | Auctions | Best Tips and Home Remedies | Blogging | Crafts & Hobbies | Currency Trading | mesothelioma lung cancer and asbestos | Mortgage and refinance | Pets | Web Site design
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Please check back frequently as new topics are added and current topics are updated daily.
For some 25 years I have alerted the public to the dangers of exclusively feeding heat processed foods. Companion animal feeding has progressed - actually digressed - from table scraps and real foods the family could spare to today's "100 % complete" processed foods in primarily kibble form, with some canned and semi-moist also available. The foods appear to be scientific and improved, but they're far worse for the animals. Not only is nutrient value diminished by heat, but a spectrum of toxins is created. Additionally, the singular feeding of processed food has led to the spurious "100% complete and balanced" claim that is both logically and scientifically flawed.
Entrepreneurs have seized upon this information to create a spate of raw frozen (RF) foods to capture a market niche and to fill the demand from consumers wanting a raw alternative to standard heat processed canned, semi-moist and dried pet foods. This market trend, as with most others, may begin with some truth (raw food is the best food) but gets distorted, if not perverted, once economic opportunity enters the picture. This paper will examine the rationale of these products, their economics and dangers. A more intelligent and healthy alternative will be proposed.
1. Weakened Pets And Highly Virulent Organisms - A raw state and the presence of moisture in food provide the perfect environment for the growth of pathogenic organisms. Although prey foods in the wild often putrefy and are teeming with microorganisms, carnivores in the wild are immunologically adapted to these organisms and even benefit from the probiotic effects of some. On the other hand, domestic pets eating sterilized heat processed foods are immunologically compromised and are threatened by mutated and highly virulent pathogenic strains created by modern circumstances and antibiotic resistance. Freezing at appropriate temperatures puts pathogens in a state of arrest but does not eliminate them. Although all foods contain some pathogens, unless they are sterilized (requiring high heat or other measures that greatly diminish the nutritional value and create toxins), it is the load of these pathogens that must be of concern to consumers. RF foods are a potential reservoir and vector of large numbers of pathogens.
2. Producers With Only Kitchen Technology - Because of the minimal technology required to produce a RF pet food, essentially anyone regardless of credentials or expertise can bring a product to market. All one needs to do is grind and mix ingredients in a kitchen, package and put in a freezer. There are no controls over the conditions in the kitchen, the quality of the ingredients or the method of freezing. All these factors can dramatically influence the nutritional value and pathogenic and toxic content of the food. But being in a frozen state hides these potential dangers and therefore poses a threat to both pets and the humans who handle the foods. John Doe can make a food under unknown conditions and with unknown ingredients, label, package, freeze and deliver to consumers or stores without one single control monitoring or impeding the process. Regulators may eventually examine the label if they happen to see it in a store (they will never see it if shipped directly to consumers) and object to some terminology or the like; but, all John needs to do is change the label and all will be well. The product could contain every manner of ingredient, be laced with virulent pathogens, and receive the aegis of regulators ? and into the market it goes.
3. Raw Frozen Foods Are Not "100% Complete" - Many RF foods make (or imply) the same spurious 100% complete claim as heat processed foods and thus carry with them the same health dangers. Feeding any food exclusively, let alone a nondescript packaged food containing who-knows-what from who-knows what manufacturing environment, is a bad choice if health and safety are of concern. (See The Truth About Pet Foods by Dr. Wysong).
4. Problems Are Ignored By Producers - RF food pathogens include not only bacteria, but fungi, viruses and parasites. Toxins include those from molds (mycotoxins), bacteria and those created by oxidation. In our study of RF products in the stream of commerce, not one producer addressed these concerns with any technological know-how that we could discern, and most did not even acknowledge the problems potentially lurking in their foods.
5. Freezing Masks Inedibles - Raw meat and organ tissue continues to use ATP (source of energy) until it is exhausted and the tissue enters a state of rigor. Endogenous enzymatic activity within the tissue continues to digest the muscle tissue (proteolysis), softening it until it becomes tender and develops the typical palatable taste. This process is retarded by cold. The freezing of properly aged meat presents few problems, however, any residual ATP present in the tissue during freezing will contract the muscle upon thawing resulting in a more unpalatable product. Mixed RF foods would hide this problem.
6. Free Radical Problems Masked - Essential fatty acids and other health enhancing lipids are critical in the diet. Once foods are ground, mixed, exposed to air, light and pro-oxidants such as heme iron and other metals found in plant and animal tissue, the contained lipids are oxidized to chain reaction producing free-radicals, causing rancidity and oxidant toxins. Freezing at appropriately low temperatures slows this process but does not stop it. The temperature in conventional freezers used for RF foods is not insurance against such oxidation. Because the frozen state masks olfactory detection of rancidity, foods that would be otherwise rejected end up being consumed. The free-radical pathology potential can then work its chronic degenerative disease and immune weakening effects.
7. Freezer Burn Indicates A More Serious Problem - Air reaching the meat surface is the cause for the freezer burns that result in the typical grayish-brown leathery spots. Frozen water on the surface or just beneath it sublimates (from solid state directly to vapor) into the air, causing moisture to be lost from the meat over time resulting in discoloration and a dry, leathery texture. Proper packaging helps maintain quality and prevent freezer burn, however most packaging is permeable to air. The prevalence of freezer burn in RF products speaks to the fact that the product is being oxidized and with that creating free radical toxins to lay the seeds for various degenerative diseases.
8. Display Packaging Causes Free Radicals - Light, as well as air, can promote free radical production. Retail display packaging that is clear or light permeable permits light to catalyze the free radical (disease promoting) process.
9. Frozen Products Are Not Inert To Degradation - In frozen storage there is deterioration in organoleptic quality - meat texture, fat turning granular and crumbly, and discoloration. Microbial enzymes also remain active, especially lipases that break down fats increasing their susceptibility to oxidation.
10. Frozen Foods Can Lead To Acidemia - Tissue degradation and oxidation under high heat freezing (above 29° F), which occurs along the supply chain with most RF products, also leads to acidification. Increasing acid consumption can contribute to acidemia that lies at the base of virtually every chronic degenerative disease plaguing modern pets. (See reference below.)
11. Temperature And Time Are Critical - Ice nucleation, as opposed to ice crystallization, is the primary vector in producing a stable, tasty, frozen product. Freezing is a technically complex process based on the optimum combination of temperature and time, amongst other factors. In the wrong processor's hands, slips in proper freezing care can lead to a microbiologically unstable product and/or a sensory inferior one. Rapid freezing leads to nucleation, thereby preventing undesirable large ice crystals from forming throughout the product. With rapid freezing the molecules don't have time to form positions in the characteristic six-sided snowflake, so nucleation overrides crystallization. On the other hand, slow freezing (the usual RF situation) creates large ice crystals, which on thawing causes cellular damage to the meat. This in turn causes meat to "drip" - lose juiciness - and form a perfect liquid medium for bacterial growth.
12. The High Risk In Thawing - Thawing is another critical phase in the freezing process as it involves a change from crystal ice to melted water, which upon reabsorption results in microbial reactivation. Pathogenic bacteria inherently contaminate raw meat, fish, and poultry and will begin to multiply again when the temperature reaches just 29.3º F - which is below freezing! Thus a product that may appear subjectively frozen could be a veritable incubator of pathogens. When consumers attempt to thaw RF foods, dangers dramatically increase. The surface temperature rises long before the interior is sufficiently thawed to serve. For example, it takes about 15 hours for the middle of a 22-pound turkey to get to 32º F. In the interim the surface temperature rises to 53º F. In this amount of time there would be about 4 multiplications of spoilage bacteria as well as non-detectable multiplications of pathogens. The FDA Model Food Code (1999) recommends that food be thawed in the refrigerator or in flowing water. Thawing RF food in the refrigerator can be inefficient and time consuming, in addition to occupying refrigeration space required for other food items. Most of all, this lengthy procedure can lead to the risk of cross-contamination when the drip from the raw meat comes in contact with ready-to-eat food stored in the refrigerator. In the alternative, consumers usually put the RF food out at room temperature, creating the perfect circumstance for pathogen proliferation.
13. Undetected Freeze-Thaw Cycles - The transit time of RF food from the processor (or John Doe's kitchen) to the distributor, to the stores and eventually to the consumer is very critical. Although freezer delivery trucks might putatively maintain stable product temperatures, lack of thermocouples fitted in the truck to show temperature readings, and/or inadequate TTIs (time-temperature indicators) can lead to microbiologically infested products without any visible spoilage signs. If the refrigeration in any part of the supply chain fails temporarily and then goes back to frozen (freeze-thaw-freeze), the consumer would never know of this abuse and danger.
14. Supply Chain Time Dangers - Time is the enemy of nutrition and safety. The longer the time between the farmer's field and the belly, the greater the potential problems. RF foods create the illusion that time is not a factor. Because the frozen state masks toxins and odors, the consumer can be given the impression of value and freshness when, in fact, they may be getting age and toxicity.
15. Microwave Thawing Dangers - If RF foods are thawed in the microwave as a matter of convenience, the value of the food is greatly compromised. Microwaves can virtually boil the liquid phase within cells and electromagnetically alter important food components rendering them not only useless nutritionally, but toxic as well.
16. Mycotoxins Go Undetected - RF foods, particularly those that are a mix of cooked grains (which of course negates the claim for "rawness") and vegetables, can contain mycotoxins. None of the producers surveyed addressed this problem.
17. Frozen Product Mixtures Make No Health Sense - In an attempt to cover every conceivable base and not miss any opportunity for profit, many RF producers mix every manner of ingredient. For example, watermelon, grains, persimmons, liver, lamb, etc. Not only would creatures in the wild never eat such a mixed gruel at one sitting, such combinations in the fresh state can cause serious digestive stress. Many of the exotic RF ingredients do not keep well in the fresh frozen state (for example, freeze watermelon alone and see what happens, let alone combining it with meat). Also, the combination of fruit sugars with proteins can potentially create toxins such as glycation end products, acrylamides (particularly in those "RF" foods containing cooked carbohydrates) and reaction products of proteins with plant tannins, phenols and flavonoids. Producers "throwing the book" at RF formulations in desperate attempts to capture market share make evident their motives and their scientific, health and technical naiveté.
18. Parasites Are Ignored - A wide range of parasites can be found within RF foods. Although there is technology in terms of freezing and natural ingredients that can be used to thwart this problem, none of the producers examined employed any of it that we could detect.
The best packaging for any food, particularly RF foods, is light- and oxygen-barrier and modified atmosphere flushed. In the absence of this, oxidation proceeds rendering the lipids toxic. None of the producers surveyed employed these technologies that we could detect. Even if they did, the other problems and dangers listed above would remain.
We live in an age of pollution and energy diminishment. RF foods require a tremendous amount of refrigeration and equipment all along the supply path. Freezing is energy inefficient and consumes valuable energy resources. Since RF foods are 70% water (at least) there are huge resources wasted in freezing and transporting the tons of this food-contained water through the supply chain. Along with all the equipment, trucking, freezing and frozen water handling inefficiency comes the pollution that parallels such industry.
In order to make their foods anywhere near affordable, RF producers must search the ingredient market for items that can carry the name of real food but may in fact be only a hollow shell of the real thing. Inferior meat and organ ingredients, heat processed grains and vegetable riffraff (for example "broccoli" on a label may really be broccoli stems - like eating a branch from an apple tree rather than the apple) are used because they are of low cost. That is not to say the marketing brochures and labels do not make it appear as though the brand is not a true gourmet meal. If one reviews the various labels it becomes clear that the race is on to see who can put the fanciest and most exotic ingredients on labels ... as if that is the road to pet health. (It is not.) In a brief ingredient survey this is what we found:
Every manner of "pureed" vegetable
Organic beef, rabbit, chicken, turkey, goat, lamb, duck, pork
Organic papaya, persimmons, blueberries, oranges, apples, pears
Organic alfalfa, millet, quinoa and barley sprouts
Cod liver oil
The reader is challenged to go to the store and total up the cost of such ingredients. Some of the organic ingredients can cost over $15 per pound. But the RF diets containing them can retail for as little as $2-4 per pound. Take away margins for distributors and retail stores and the producer is selling them wholesale for close to a dollar per pound. Now on top of the cost of ingredients is the production, advertising, packaging, freezing and in some cases a sales force making six figures. Something most certainly does not add up. The only thing that can be missing is true ingredient quality. But how can the label say these expensive ingredients are in the food? All the producer needs to do is put in pinches of the expensive ingredients just to say they are there.
The only economic hope for a RF producer is to create the perception of "value added." They simply could not put the costly ingredients in the food to any degree and make a profit for themselves and all the middlemen up and down the chain. The price they would have to charge would be ridiculous. In effect, in order to be successful, producers must become accomplished at propaganda, not health and nutrition.
Consumers interested in cutting through to the truth do themselves and their pets a service by going to the grocery store with a list of the ingredients ostensibly in a RF diet. Although some RF diets in the lower price range appear to not be attempting to mislead, consumers should do the math comparing the exotic ingredients in RF pet foods to the prices for the real thing in the store and decide for themselves whether either value or honesty resides in RF products.
Consumers are under the mistaken assumption that a nondescript package mix of ingredients with an officious label and from a producer posing as a nutritional authority (none of the producers we examined had people at the helm with expertise or credentials) would be the best choice. Little do they realize that they could avoid essentially all of the caveats listed above by simply going to the grocer and buying fresh meats and produce. Pets do not require every nutrient in existence at every meal, as is the impression given by the 100% complete RF producers, and for that matter the rest of the pet food industry. Why would people choose to pay a producer to mix inferior ingredients, package them, label them, freeze them, transport them, advertise them and pay the margin for the producer, the distributor, sales force and the retailer when they can avoid all that cost and put their money into real quality fresh foods? Some people are so convinced that RF manufacturers perform some sort of magic that they will pay to have such foods put in special insulated containers packed with dry ice and overnight delivered! This is particularly ridiculous when one considers that no real convenience - and certainly no health or nutritional value - is added in the process. The consumer still has to go to the store and buy something.
At the grocer a person can buy fresh, raw, untainted meats and produce appropriate for pet carnivores at less than $1 per pound. Slightly out-of-date meats, sale items, trimmings or other still excellent products that cannot be put in the meat case can be even less. True, if you are to purchase the ingredients listed above in perfect human grade organic form (as many RF producers boast) the cost could be far greater. But at least you would know what you are getting. RF foods can cost as much as $7 per pound with an average of about $3-4 per pound (not including shipping to the customer's door) and most of that cost is going into freezing, transportation and profits through a whole chain of participants. Here is a case where a consumer gets to pay more (a whole lot more) and get less (a whole lot less). Isn't marketing a wonderful thing?
A Better Alternative
Fresh foods fed in variety are without question the perfect form of nutrition. Appropriately designed supplements to help reduce the risk of food-borne pathogens and oxidation, and to help balance high meat meals and provide a spectrum of vegetable-based nutrients and nutraceuticals can also be of great benefit. Anything less than this is a compromise. The next best alternative is packaged dried raw foods that have incorporated in them food technology to impede pathogens, parasites and oxidation. The low water activity of these products is a great inhibitor of pathogens and the low level of moisture make storage and shipping efficient and environmentally friendly. Good quality table scraps and properly designed dried extruded and canned foods can be mixed into the diet rotation with benefit as well.
Consumers must learn the principles of fresh foods fed in variety and to trust in nature. Every pet owner desires the best for a beloved pet, and is correct in thinking food is an essential element in achieving that goal. But it is incorrect to believe that another person can do more for their pet's health than they can do themselves. All that is required is a little understanding and use of common sense.
[ NOTE: To that end, the Wysong Institute makes available a free e-Health Letter, a free one-hour CD entitled, "The Thinking Person's Master Key To Health," healthy product alternatives designed intelligently with health as the number one objective, and books and recipes for anyone wanting to take control of their own and their family's and pet's health. See www.wysonginstitute.org ]
Cano-Muñoz, G. (1991). Manual on meat cold store operation and management. FAO Animal Production And Health Paper 92. Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations, Rome.
FDA Food Code (1999). U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. Pub. No. PB99-115925. Washington, D.C. 20250
Food Safety and Inspection Service (2004). FOCUS ON: Freezing. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Washington, D.C. 20250
Klose, A.A., Lineweaver, H., and Palmer, H.H. (1968). Thawing turkeys at ambient air temperature. Food Tech. 22:1310-1314.
Muldrew, K. and McGann, L.E. (1999). Cryobiology - A Short Course. http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kmuldrew/cryo_course/cryo_chap13_1.html
Snyder, O. P. (1999). Thawing At Ambient Temperature On The Counter. Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management, St. Paul, MN.
Wysong, R. L. (2004). Nutrition is a Serious Health Matter: The serious responsibility of manufacturing and selling. Wysong Institute, Midland, MI.
Wysong, R. L. (1990). Lipid Nutrition: Understanding Fats and Oils in Health and Disease. Midland, MI: Inquiry Press.
Wysong R. L. (1993). Rationale for Animal Nutrition. Midland, MI: Inquiry Press.
Wysong, R. L. (2000-2005). Wysong e-Health Letter. Wysong Institute, Midland, MI. For subscriptions: http://www.wysong.net/subscribehl.shtml, and archived at http://www.wysong.net/archivesehl.shtml
Wysong, R. L. (2002). The Truth About Pet Foods. Midland, MI: Inquiry Press.
Wysong, R. L. (2003, January 14). What to do to reverse and prevent acidemia. The Wysong e-Health Letter. http://www.wysong.net/health/post_101_011403.shtml Wysong Institute, Midland, MI.
Wysong, R. L. (2004). The Thinking Person's Master Key to Health (60 Minute CD Discussion). Wysong Institute, Midland, MI.
Dr. Wysong is a former veterinary clinician and surgeon, college instructor in human anatomy, physiology and the origin of life, inventor of numerous medical, surgical, nutritional, athletic and fitness products and devices, research director for the present company by his name and founder of the philanthropic Wysong Institute. He is author of The Creation-Evolution Controversy now in its eleventh printing, a new two volume set on philosophy for living, several books on nutrition, prevention and health for people and animals and over 15 years of monthly health newsletters. He may be contacted at Wysong@Wysong.net and a free subscription to his e-Health Letter is available at http://www.wysong.net
Elanco Animal Health, the veterinary sector's fourth-largest company measured by revenue, is poised to leap to number two through a $7.6 billion cash and.
Homeless pets await adoption throughout New Jersey.
MISSION, Kan., Aug. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- (Family Features) When structured school days and hours away from home return to the schedule, all members ...
Levi, a 6-year-old, all-black, domestic medium hair cat, is available for adoption at the Petsmart in Alhambra through the San Gabriel Valley Humane Society.
How to look at the pros and cons of bringing your pets along for vacation.
Cabin hosts can even offer natural flower essences to mix with pets' drinking water to aid relaxation during the flight.
While many people shop for their pets, there are many pets in shelters waiting for their forever homes.
Whether you're going away on vacation or just leaving for the day to go to work, it's important to have a plan before you leave your fury friends behind.
Companies in Japan that allow employees to bring their pets to the workplace are drawing attention and even enjoying unexpected benefits.
Animal advocates want every shelter pet to live to find its forever home, and they hope a new tool will help connect people with the animals most in need.
I have a dog in the house. He doesn't live here, he just came to visit. And I have a family of feral cats living in my back yard. The momma cat.
In late June, sun beating down, people stood in line outside the Harris County Animal Shelter waiting to surrender their pets or turn in a stray. The shelter was ...
Pet Paradise reports one of the two cats that were missing following a Sunday evening fire has been found.
As Californians, we've long accepted that earthquakes can hit anytime, anywhere. When that immovable, solid earth suddenly shifts beneath you, it can be scary ...
Staff said this became problematic for a number of reasons.
Firefighters worked to rescue dozens of dogs and cats from a fire inside Pet Paradise on Sunday evening.
Firefighters worked to rescue dozens of dogs and cats from a fire inside Pet Paradise Sunday evening.
Erin Bokuniewicz, a pet expert at Pet Supplies Plus, shares her tips and hacks for a fun and safe road trip with your dog.
One of two missing animals from a kennel fire was found dead Tuesday night.
Are you being careful enough with the photos you post online? You may think you are, but your pet photos might tell a different story.
If you are looking for a pet to add to your family, be on the lookout for scams. As more consumers turn to the internet to find new pets, more people are becoming ...
The San Diego Humane Society reminded residents Tuesday to avoid bringing pets on hikes during periods of hot weather to protect them from heatstroke.
Evanston fire crews found a first floor unit on fire when they arrived at a four-story courtyard apartment building early this evening.
When pet owners walk into Healing Tails, a veterinary physical rehabilitation and holistic medicine clinic in the South Loop, treatment options for their beloved ...
This week's Pet Pointer is to educate people not play vet if their pets are injured. So often owners will treat their pets with human medicine. Dr. Melanie DeHaan ...
Mandan City Commissioners on Tuesday voted to tighten rules for parking trailers and campers on city streets and approved banning dogs and cats from two ...
BestReviews is highlighting some unbeatable pet deals this weekend in honor of the nationwide Clear the Shelters adoption event on Saturday, Aug. 17.
This last weekend's Clear the Shelters event was an all-hands-on deck kind of day, with dozens of staff and volunteers making good use of their match-making ...
The event was publicized all over the country and had the potential of being our most successful day ever in pet adoptions.
In what appears to be a desperate act to find “the one,” people looking for love are deceiving potential love interests in an act called “dogfishing.”
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — This week on Paws for Pets, Kristin Diaz visits The Cattery Cat Shelter. Tuesday's featured cat is Rhodes who is 4 months old and ...
Rodney and Erika McLeod introduce us to their English Bulldog, Ceasar, who apparently has DeSean Jackson speed.
Out Here with Animals event celebrates community partners and local animal organizations Aug. 24. On Saturday, Aug. 24, Bossier City Tractor Supply ...
Bedding, jewelry, toys, treats — the annual convention draws more than 1000 exhibitors.
Nearly 50 shelter pets from El Paso are flying out of the Borderland ------ in hopes that they find a new, loving home. The El Paso Animal Services will be taking ...
WILLISTON, N.D. - Williston's Mayor Howard Klug encouraging animal adoption as area's surrendered pets increase. Mayor Klug recently adopted a dog from ...
Giving your pet some serious filmmaker chops, the PetNow turns your dog into a director of their very own film! The camera attaches to a harness, capturing your ...
NEW YORK, Aug. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Innovative Japanese mattress brand, Airweave, announces the launch of the airweave Dog Bed. The Dog Bed is ...
WILMINGTON — Best friends Bandit and Sparky were running out of lives and luck, until the rescue organization All 4 Cats (A4C) offered them a second…
World Pet Association's SuperZoo trade show for pet retailers and product suppliers sees raw/*fresh* pet food, nutritional advice and supplements and digital tools ...
The SurFUR ComPETition will take place today in Waikiki at Duke's OceanFest. In front of the famous statue of surf legend Duke Kahanamoku, four-legged ...
Plan to prevent 5000 primates being caged in UK comes ahead of possible general election.
Santa Clarita's Tractor Supply Co. is inviting community members and their leashed, friendly animals to celebrate the company's annual Out Here with Animals ...
Another Hampshire county pond has been closed to the public after health officials found more algae in the waters.
Over 1800 pets were adopted at Chicago-area animal shelters since late July as part of NBC and Telemundo's Clear the Shelters initiative, and more than 500 ...
Brenda Bartlett from Village Pets Supplies. 2268 Sans Souci Parkway Wilkes-Barre, PA 18706 570-735-5905 Facebook: @villagepetsupplies.
In the town of Saco, there is a real pet cemetery, but don't mistake it for the horror dreamed up by Maine author Stephen King.
Dogs are less susceptible to plague than cats, but may pick up fleas that can infect other animals and people.
Clear the Shelters Day was Saturday, August 17, 2019, and it was a huge success for the Humane Society of Vero Beach & Indian River County. The local non- .
Shelter pets await adoption across the Garden State.
TEWKSBURY, Mass., Aug. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Grains are making a grand entrance into the Wellness® CORE® family of high-protein recipes for pets, as.
On Tinder, Avery Chuang developed a bad habit: She almost always swiped right on guys with a ridiculously adorable dog photo. It's not a high standard to go ...
When FL4K was announced as the fourth playable Vault Hunter in the upcoming Borderlands 3, the excitement was palpable. Opening up rifts to teleport pets, ...
Wildlife officials are warning Boston pet owners to be vigilant after a bobcat was spotted at a West Roxbury park Sunday and might be living nearby.
Meet James, KCBD's Pet of the Day with Lubbock Animal Services. James is a 1.5-year-old pittie mix who has been with LAS since November.
Meet Perfect Pet, Betty! This girl loves playing with toys, eating treats, and getting affection. Meet this cutie at the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA!
For a lot of pet owners, the perfect trip may involve bringing Fido or Chloe with you - but flying with pets can be an adventure in and of itself. If you are traveling ...
What better way to explore New York than with your four-legged best friend? Here's are the city's most pet-friendly hotels.
Hundreds of people across New England came out Saturday to adopt dogs, cats and more animals that need loving homes in the latest Clear the Shelters drive.
The Transportation Security Administration is looking for the owner of a nonvenomous snake that was found near a security checkpoint at Newark Liberty ...
Pet owners are being warned not to feed their pets any of the Texas Tripe brand raw frozen pet food listed below, because several samples of Texas Tripe.
Having two pets of different species can be a handful and although it's possible to care for both animals, there's no guarantee they'll get along.
Dogs owners, particularly in the southern U.S., are being warned to keep their animals away from ponds and lakes where blooms of blue-green algae could be ...
The $636 million pet supplement industry is fueled by the greatest suckers of all: millennial dog owners, like me.
A woman who says she was sacked on the same day her family dog died has started a campaign for bereavement leave when employees lose their pets.
Erica Eriksdotter always paints the eyes first. “The eyes are the most important part,” Eriksdotter said of her hand-painted portraits of dead or dying pets.
Baby, it's hot outside, and considering that climate change is intensifying, it's only going to get hotter -- and longer. So how can you keep your pets and other ...
Toxic algae in ponds killed four dogs in neighboring states in a matter of hours last week. Here's how to keep you, and your dogs, safe.
Watching your dog bound over to lick your face every time you walk in the door is a pretty awesome perk of having a pet. But you know what's not so awesome?
At all three shelters, those who came looking for new pet arrived bubbling with enthusiasm and excited to take home a new four legged friend.
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The Humane Society of North Texas says three separate cases of inappropriate and inhumane surrenders of pets last week ...
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a third brand of pets treats are being removed from stores because of their potential contamination ...
HOUSTON, Texas — Shelters across the country united Saturday to host a nation-wide adoption event called "Clear the Shelters." It's the words the Martinez ...
Hundreds of pets found forever homes during Saturday's 2019 Clear the Shelters event in South Florida.
What's better than going on vacation? Bringing your fur baby along for the fun, of course. But before you make travel plans that involve your pet, know that having ...
Today is the day! NBC 5 and Telemundo Chicago teamed up with animal shelters across the Chicago area to help pets in need find fur-ever homes. It's all part of ...
CARMEL, Ind. - Pets, vets and Corvettes! You could see it all at the 8th annual Corvette Show in Carmel benefiting the Pets Healing Vets program. Hundreds of ...
DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Here are some photos of some of the animals you could rescue (or be rescued by) on Clear The Shelters day! These loveable shelter ...
Sometimes the way you talk to your dog can impact how well it listens and behaves. Plus, you could be feeding your pet too much.
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – The City of North Myrtle Beach has approved an ordinance that would ban the sale of pets and limits dog tethering.
LANSING, Mich. (WLNS)– The team at Capital Area Humane Society had one goal today: to cross off every name on their 'adoptable pets' list. “Sometimes ...
Luca is a calm, mellow dog who likes people and is looking for a quiet home to call her own.
When a beloved pet gets lost, it's a tough situation for the whole family. That's why a Cape Coral woman has donated her time to reunite more than 1,000 pets ...
Hundreds of animals -- dogs, cats, bunnies, pigeons, guinea pigs and more -- will be available this Saturday at NBC 7 and Telemundo 20's annual Clear The ...
Several states across the United States ban misrepresenting pets as *service* animals.
Clear the Shelters, a nationwide effort, is on Aug. 17, 2019. All of these dogs, cats and guinea pigs are available for adoption through Front Street Animal Shelter ...
A Labour government would introduce a “total ban” on keeping or selling monkeys as pets, the party has announced. There are an estimated 5,000 primates ...
Children and pets are more at risk of microcystin poisoning because of their small size — and because they're likely to play near the shore where toxins are ...
August 18, 2019 11:32 AM. Loving animals finally found a new home. NBC and Telemundo owned stations teamed up with hundreds of shelters across the ...
Walk through any plant nursery in South Texas and you will likely see sago palms for sale. They are popular and evergreen landscape plants suitable for ...
It just doesn't seem right to leave your pet at home while fly off to Hawaii or road trip down to Florida – especially if they'd love the destination as much as you do.
What started as a routine visit to the pet groomer turned into shock and anger for a local dog owner. Graziella Puleo said she took her Goldendoodle named Lola ...
A tortoise named Tommy has become the world's oldest living pet after celebrating her 121st birthday this week — and boy, has she seen a thing or two.
The "Pet Wearable Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Technology , By Application , And Segment Forecasts, 2019 - 2025" report has been added ...
People who falsely claim their pet is a *service* animal could soon face criminal charges in Alabama.
A chance conversation let an Oswego County Boy Scout to start a community *service* project that will help homeless and needy pets,, and earn him Scouting's ...
The knock on Dani Guill's door came in early May. It was a zoning compliance officer, there to investigate a complaint from a neighbor. Word was that a pig lived ...
Residents of a shelter for those fleeing domestic violence no longer have to live apart from their pets when they leave an abusive partner. The Choices for ...
It should go without saying that pet owners want to find the best food, treats, toys, and products to make their pets happy. Thankfully, there's a ton of tech catered ...
On Saturday, August 17, Noise Pop will host its annual 20th Street Block party from 12 to 6 p.m. This year, the free music and food festival is collaborating with ...
RELATED PET ARTICLES FROM THE PET INFORMATION CHANNEL::
Stop Cat Scratching Today!
Your new living room furniture is in tatters. Your nerves are frayed.
How I Get More Training Done On My Horses In 1/2 The Time
Here's a simple way..
Dog Training Book - Why Buy One? When Everything is Free Online!
I'm a dog lover who believes that every dog owners should train their dogs if they truly love and care for them. Because I believe that dog training gives dogs a happier and healthier life.
Canine Communication and Body Language
A couple of years ago a Japanese electronics company came up with a Gizmo which they claimed could convert dogs barks, yips and whines into human language, thereby allowing us to understand "Doggie" speak for the first time. I was on a radio program recently, discussing the merits and usefulness of a new dog collar that was also a mobile phone.
Crate Training Dogs: The Right Way and the Wrong Way - Part Two
Part2: Does your puppy want to be crate trained? Yes! in fact, he does. Your puppy or dog will soon see his crate as a place of security, IF it's approached correctly.
How to become Top Dog - A Dog Owners Guide to Sanity
Peeing on the carpet, knocking you down, or stealing dinner off the counter are all signs that your dog doesn't respect your rules. In other words, you are not the Alpha Dog.
How do you build a goldfish pond outdoors?The tools you will need are a shovel, pond liner and underlayment, a long enough rope, coping stones and decorations, plants, a pump (you will need a pump to run a filter, fountain, or waterfall and it will keep the water circulating and the plants healthy), a filter system and some cooperative friends or family members. Now you can get started.
Pet Owners Are The Majority Population In The U.S.
According to recent statistics, an astounding 65% of all U.S.
Author of Keep Fleas Off. Still using all the chemicals you can find to combat those fleas? Have you done everything outside of trying to shoot the fleas off the dog? You are not alone, there are an estimated more than 50 million households with pets, and yes, most are not just fighting the war against these pesky parasites, they are losing the war. Most people do not realize just how devastating the losses are.
Bast, The Beloved Protector of Cats
She is the protector of cats, women and children. The ancient Egyptians celebrated her feastday on October 31 with convivial merry making, music, dancing in the streets and drinking with friends - the sort of holiday we would recognise instantly.
The ABCs of Beaks
Beaks, Bills, Face Knives, Beakers - whatever we want to call them, they are an integral part of our Hookbills! So, let's break the beak down into some understandable lessons: A. Anatomy - What is a beak? It is not "dead" material, like hair or fingernails - rather, it is a living organ, the tip of which contains a bundle of sensitive nerves.
The Different Breeds Of Dogs
The American Kennel Club recognizes 150 different dog breeds. There are seven different groups in which the dog can belong.
Dog Travel - Taking a Vacation with Your Dog
Like most dog owners, you probably take your dog with you on weekend excursions and trips to the country. When it comes time to take a longer vacation, however, we always face the dilemma of what to do with Fido.
Do You Know About Boxer Dogs?
Boxer Dogs Information - What Are Boxer Dogs? Boxer dogs are great all around dog breeds, distinguished canine and the coolest, most lovable dog out there! Boxer Dogs are medium-built and strong breed that are so named because of its habit of standing on the hind legs to begin a fight and boxing with the front paws. By nature, Boxer dogs are working dogs.
Those Amazing Dog Noses -- Fun Facts About A Chilly Little Organ
If you thought dog noses were just a source of smeary prints on your windows, think again!========How Nose Prints save dog's lives======Nose prints are used to identify dogs in the same way finger prints are used to identify human beings. Breeders and trainers keep a dog's nose prints on file as part of its permanent record and insurance companies now require them whenever a dog is to be bonded.
Proper Diet For the Discus Fish
The Discus fish has its habitat in the South American waters of Brazil and Peru. Discus fish are classified as "grazers", and in the wild constantly forage for food.
Worms in Your Dog... Gross!
Of all the parasites a dog can catch, worms take home first prize for Most Disgusting. Nobody wants to imagine little worms crawling around in their dog's digestive system, but it's a fairly common ailment that's easily passed from dog to dog.
Pet Identification Tags And The Internet
The greatest fear of most pet owners is that there is a chance the family pet will get lost, and not be returned. But many of these same pet owners fail to take the necessary precautions needed to safeguard their pets.
Vet Check - Well-Bird Check Up
I know there are differing opinions on the subject of well-bird check ups. Some people believe in having your apparently healthy parrot checked out once a year by a qualified avian vet, while others claim that taking a health bird into a vet office exposes them to germs they might not otherwise be exposed to.
The Joy Of Having Puppies!
One of the greatest thrills for a little boy or girl is having new puppies in the home. Puppies, dogs and having a puppy bring a sense of well being and comfort to people of all ages, whether young or old.
Find used office equipment in Ohio at www.OfficeJax.Has.It
Find the best fleamarkets at www.FleaMarketWorld.Has.It
Find electric powered vehicles at www.NoGas.Drives.It
Katrina's pet sitting and house sitting services Akron Ohio
Find homes for rent
Northwest Veterinary Practice
|[Back to Top]
|akron ohio pet supply pet store littlest pet shop pet store supply pet shop adoption pet insurance pet grooming pet pet virtual pet services pet shop groomers pet care pet medication pet adopt pet food pet product cemetery pet sale health pet animal pet bed pet carrier pet name pet door pet nutrition pet wonder general pet memorial pet scan boarding grooming pet teacher pet plus supply gate pet friendly hotel pet exotic pet medicine pet discount pet sound pet tag dog pet supply wholesale pet hotel pet rescue bird pet sitter pet boarding pet online pet store boarding pet sitting pet care salt water aquariums fresh water aquariums pet health pet meds pet classifieds pet id pet tag dog free pet puppy pet loss pet related services animal pet rabbit pet turtle pet sex little pet shop exotic pet store dubai pet travel pet place own pet services sitting flea dip pet pharmacy food natural pet products pet training pet shelter pet finder animals pet rat clothes pet pet stroller pet shampoos health insurance pet fish pet lost pet grooming mobile pet banfield hospital pet hospitals free pet stuff pet finder pet supermarket pets allowed pet kennel pet contest pet photo free pet online pet edge pet grooming pet cat pet holistic veterinarian pet care for your pet sitting eye nose ears pet finder dog clothing Westminster dog show online pet store dog eating feces? bad dog behavior problems? puppies for sale Westminster kennel dog itchy itchyitchydog baghdad dog insider dog training tips remedies report reviews recommended procedures|