Pets Information Channel:
More free online ebooks tips articles:
Advertising | Affiliate revenue sharing | Auctions | Best Tips and Home Remedies | Blogging | Crafts & Hobbies | Currency Trading | mesothelioma lung cancer and asbestos | Mortgage and refinance | Pets | Web Site design
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Please check back frequently as new topics are added and current topics are updated daily.
For some 25 years I have alerted the public to the dangers of exclusively feeding heat processed foods. Companion animal feeding has progressed - actually digressed - from table scraps and real foods the family could spare to today's "100 % complete" processed foods in primarily kibble form, with some canned and semi-moist also available. The foods appear to be scientific and improved, but they're far worse for the animals. Not only is nutrient value diminished by heat, but a spectrum of toxins is created. Additionally, the singular feeding of processed food has led to the spurious "100% complete and balanced" claim that is both logically and scientifically flawed.
Entrepreneurs have seized upon this information to create a spate of raw frozen (RF) foods to capture a market niche and to fill the demand from consumers wanting a raw alternative to standard heat processed canned, semi-moist and dried pet foods. This market trend, as with most others, may begin with some truth (raw food is the best food) but gets distorted, if not perverted, once economic opportunity enters the picture. This paper will examine the rationale of these products, their economics and dangers. A more intelligent and healthy alternative will be proposed.
1. Weakened Pets And Highly Virulent Organisms - A raw state and the presence of moisture in food provide the perfect environment for the growth of pathogenic organisms. Although prey foods in the wild often putrefy and are teeming with microorganisms, carnivores in the wild are immunologically adapted to these organisms and even benefit from the probiotic effects of some. On the other hand, domestic pets eating sterilized heat processed foods are immunologically compromised and are threatened by mutated and highly virulent pathogenic strains created by modern circumstances and antibiotic resistance. Freezing at appropriate temperatures puts pathogens in a state of arrest but does not eliminate them. Although all foods contain some pathogens, unless they are sterilized (requiring high heat or other measures that greatly diminish the nutritional value and create toxins), it is the load of these pathogens that must be of concern to consumers. RF foods are a potential reservoir and vector of large numbers of pathogens.
2. Producers With Only Kitchen Technology - Because of the minimal technology required to produce a RF pet food, essentially anyone regardless of credentials or expertise can bring a product to market. All one needs to do is grind and mix ingredients in a kitchen, package and put in a freezer. There are no controls over the conditions in the kitchen, the quality of the ingredients or the method of freezing. All these factors can dramatically influence the nutritional value and pathogenic and toxic content of the food. But being in a frozen state hides these potential dangers and therefore poses a threat to both pets and the humans who handle the foods. John Doe can make a food under unknown conditions and with unknown ingredients, label, package, freeze and deliver to consumers or stores without one single control monitoring or impeding the process. Regulators may eventually examine the label if they happen to see it in a store (they will never see it if shipped directly to consumers) and object to some terminology or the like; but, all John needs to do is change the label and all will be well. The product could contain every manner of ingredient, be laced with virulent pathogens, and receive the aegis of regulators ? and into the market it goes.
3. Raw Frozen Foods Are Not "100% Complete" - Many RF foods make (or imply) the same spurious 100% complete claim as heat processed foods and thus carry with them the same health dangers. Feeding any food exclusively, let alone a nondescript packaged food containing who-knows-what from who-knows what manufacturing environment, is a bad choice if health and safety are of concern. (See The Truth About Pet Foods by Dr. Wysong).
4. Problems Are Ignored By Producers - RF food pathogens include not only bacteria, but fungi, viruses and parasites. Toxins include those from molds (mycotoxins), bacteria and those created by oxidation. In our study of RF products in the stream of commerce, not one producer addressed these concerns with any technological know-how that we could discern, and most did not even acknowledge the problems potentially lurking in their foods.
5. Freezing Masks Inedibles - Raw meat and organ tissue continues to use ATP (source of energy) until it is exhausted and the tissue enters a state of rigor. Endogenous enzymatic activity within the tissue continues to digest the muscle tissue (proteolysis), softening it until it becomes tender and develops the typical palatable taste. This process is retarded by cold. The freezing of properly aged meat presents few problems, however, any residual ATP present in the tissue during freezing will contract the muscle upon thawing resulting in a more unpalatable product. Mixed RF foods would hide this problem.
6. Free Radical Problems Masked - Essential fatty acids and other health enhancing lipids are critical in the diet. Once foods are ground, mixed, exposed to air, light and pro-oxidants such as heme iron and other metals found in plant and animal tissue, the contained lipids are oxidized to chain reaction producing free-radicals, causing rancidity and oxidant toxins. Freezing at appropriately low temperatures slows this process but does not stop it. The temperature in conventional freezers used for RF foods is not insurance against such oxidation. Because the frozen state masks olfactory detection of rancidity, foods that would be otherwise rejected end up being consumed. The free-radical pathology potential can then work its chronic degenerative disease and immune weakening effects.
7. Freezer Burn Indicates A More Serious Problem - Air reaching the meat surface is the cause for the freezer burns that result in the typical grayish-brown leathery spots. Frozen water on the surface or just beneath it sublimates (from solid state directly to vapor) into the air, causing moisture to be lost from the meat over time resulting in discoloration and a dry, leathery texture. Proper packaging helps maintain quality and prevent freezer burn, however most packaging is permeable to air. The prevalence of freezer burn in RF products speaks to the fact that the product is being oxidized and with that creating free radical toxins to lay the seeds for various degenerative diseases.
8. Display Packaging Causes Free Radicals - Light, as well as air, can promote free radical production. Retail display packaging that is clear or light permeable permits light to catalyze the free radical (disease promoting) process.
9. Frozen Products Are Not Inert To Degradation - In frozen storage there is deterioration in organoleptic quality - meat texture, fat turning granular and crumbly, and discoloration. Microbial enzymes also remain active, especially lipases that break down fats increasing their susceptibility to oxidation.
10. Frozen Foods Can Lead To Acidemia - Tissue degradation and oxidation under high heat freezing (above 29° F), which occurs along the supply chain with most RF products, also leads to acidification. Increasing acid consumption can contribute to acidemia that lies at the base of virtually every chronic degenerative disease plaguing modern pets. (See reference below.)
11. Temperature And Time Are Critical - Ice nucleation, as opposed to ice crystallization, is the primary vector in producing a stable, tasty, frozen product. Freezing is a technically complex process based on the optimum combination of temperature and time, amongst other factors. In the wrong processor's hands, slips in proper freezing care can lead to a microbiologically unstable product and/or a sensory inferior one. Rapid freezing leads to nucleation, thereby preventing undesirable large ice crystals from forming throughout the product. With rapid freezing the molecules don't have time to form positions in the characteristic six-sided snowflake, so nucleation overrides crystallization. On the other hand, slow freezing (the usual RF situation) creates large ice crystals, which on thawing causes cellular damage to the meat. This in turn causes meat to "drip" - lose juiciness - and form a perfect liquid medium for bacterial growth.
12. The High Risk In Thawing - Thawing is another critical phase in the freezing process as it involves a change from crystal ice to melted water, which upon reabsorption results in microbial reactivation. Pathogenic bacteria inherently contaminate raw meat, fish, and poultry and will begin to multiply again when the temperature reaches just 29.3º F - which is below freezing! Thus a product that may appear subjectively frozen could be a veritable incubator of pathogens. When consumers attempt to thaw RF foods, dangers dramatically increase. The surface temperature rises long before the interior is sufficiently thawed to serve. For example, it takes about 15 hours for the middle of a 22-pound turkey to get to 32º F. In the interim the surface temperature rises to 53º F. In this amount of time there would be about 4 multiplications of spoilage bacteria as well as non-detectable multiplications of pathogens. The FDA Model Food Code (1999) recommends that food be thawed in the refrigerator or in flowing water. Thawing RF food in the refrigerator can be inefficient and time consuming, in addition to occupying refrigeration space required for other food items. Most of all, this lengthy procedure can lead to the risk of cross-contamination when the drip from the raw meat comes in contact with ready-to-eat food stored in the refrigerator. In the alternative, consumers usually put the RF food out at room temperature, creating the perfect circumstance for pathogen proliferation.
13. Undetected Freeze-Thaw Cycles - The transit time of RF food from the processor (or John Doe's kitchen) to the distributor, to the stores and eventually to the consumer is very critical. Although freezer delivery trucks might putatively maintain stable product temperatures, lack of thermocouples fitted in the truck to show temperature readings, and/or inadequate TTIs (time-temperature indicators) can lead to microbiologically infested products without any visible spoilage signs. If the refrigeration in any part of the supply chain fails temporarily and then goes back to frozen (freeze-thaw-freeze), the consumer would never know of this abuse and danger.
14. Supply Chain Time Dangers - Time is the enemy of nutrition and safety. The longer the time between the farmer's field and the belly, the greater the potential problems. RF foods create the illusion that time is not a factor. Because the frozen state masks toxins and odors, the consumer can be given the impression of value and freshness when, in fact, they may be getting age and toxicity.
15. Microwave Thawing Dangers - If RF foods are thawed in the microwave as a matter of convenience, the value of the food is greatly compromised. Microwaves can virtually boil the liquid phase within cells and electromagnetically alter important food components rendering them not only useless nutritionally, but toxic as well.
16. Mycotoxins Go Undetected - RF foods, particularly those that are a mix of cooked grains (which of course negates the claim for "rawness") and vegetables, can contain mycotoxins. None of the producers surveyed addressed this problem.
17. Frozen Product Mixtures Make No Health Sense - In an attempt to cover every conceivable base and not miss any opportunity for profit, many RF producers mix every manner of ingredient. For example, watermelon, grains, persimmons, liver, lamb, etc. Not only would creatures in the wild never eat such a mixed gruel at one sitting, such combinations in the fresh state can cause serious digestive stress. Many of the exotic RF ingredients do not keep well in the fresh frozen state (for example, freeze watermelon alone and see what happens, let alone combining it with meat). Also, the combination of fruit sugars with proteins can potentially create toxins such as glycation end products, acrylamides (particularly in those "RF" foods containing cooked carbohydrates) and reaction products of proteins with plant tannins, phenols and flavonoids. Producers "throwing the book" at RF formulations in desperate attempts to capture market share make evident their motives and their scientific, health and technical naiveté.
18. Parasites Are Ignored - A wide range of parasites can be found within RF foods. Although there is technology in terms of freezing and natural ingredients that can be used to thwart this problem, none of the producers examined employed any of it that we could detect.
The best packaging for any food, particularly RF foods, is light- and oxygen-barrier and modified atmosphere flushed. In the absence of this, oxidation proceeds rendering the lipids toxic. None of the producers surveyed employed these technologies that we could detect. Even if they did, the other problems and dangers listed above would remain.
We live in an age of pollution and energy diminishment. RF foods require a tremendous amount of refrigeration and equipment all along the supply path. Freezing is energy inefficient and consumes valuable energy resources. Since RF foods are 70% water (at least) there are huge resources wasted in freezing and transporting the tons of this food-contained water through the supply chain. Along with all the equipment, trucking, freezing and frozen water handling inefficiency comes the pollution that parallels such industry.
In order to make their foods anywhere near affordable, RF producers must search the ingredient market for items that can carry the name of real food but may in fact be only a hollow shell of the real thing. Inferior meat and organ ingredients, heat processed grains and vegetable riffraff (for example "broccoli" on a label may really be broccoli stems - like eating a branch from an apple tree rather than the apple) are used because they are of low cost. That is not to say the marketing brochures and labels do not make it appear as though the brand is not a true gourmet meal. If one reviews the various labels it becomes clear that the race is on to see who can put the fanciest and most exotic ingredients on labels ... as if that is the road to pet health. (It is not.) In a brief ingredient survey this is what we found:
Every manner of "pureed" vegetable
Organic beef, rabbit, chicken, turkey, goat, lamb, duck, pork
Organic papaya, persimmons, blueberries, oranges, apples, pears
Organic alfalfa, millet, quinoa and barley sprouts
Cod liver oil
The reader is challenged to go to the store and total up the cost of such ingredients. Some of the organic ingredients can cost over $15 per pound. But the RF diets containing them can retail for as little as $2-4 per pound. Take away margins for distributors and retail stores and the producer is selling them wholesale for close to a dollar per pound. Now on top of the cost of ingredients is the production, advertising, packaging, freezing and in some cases a sales force making six figures. Something most certainly does not add up. The only thing that can be missing is true ingredient quality. But how can the label say these expensive ingredients are in the food? All the producer needs to do is put in pinches of the expensive ingredients just to say they are there.
The only economic hope for a RF producer is to create the perception of "value added." They simply could not put the costly ingredients in the food to any degree and make a profit for themselves and all the middlemen up and down the chain. The price they would have to charge would be ridiculous. In effect, in order to be successful, producers must become accomplished at propaganda, not health and nutrition.
Consumers interested in cutting through to the truth do themselves and their pets a service by going to the grocery store with a list of the ingredients ostensibly in a RF diet. Although some RF diets in the lower price range appear to not be attempting to mislead, consumers should do the math comparing the exotic ingredients in RF pet foods to the prices for the real thing in the store and decide for themselves whether either value or honesty resides in RF products.
Consumers are under the mistaken assumption that a nondescript package mix of ingredients with an officious label and from a producer posing as a nutritional authority (none of the producers we examined had people at the helm with expertise or credentials) would be the best choice. Little do they realize that they could avoid essentially all of the caveats listed above by simply going to the grocer and buying fresh meats and produce. Pets do not require every nutrient in existence at every meal, as is the impression given by the 100% complete RF producers, and for that matter the rest of the pet food industry. Why would people choose to pay a producer to mix inferior ingredients, package them, label them, freeze them, transport them, advertise them and pay the margin for the producer, the distributor, sales force and the retailer when they can avoid all that cost and put their money into real quality fresh foods? Some people are so convinced that RF manufacturers perform some sort of magic that they will pay to have such foods put in special insulated containers packed with dry ice and overnight delivered! This is particularly ridiculous when one considers that no real convenience - and certainly no health or nutritional value - is added in the process. The consumer still has to go to the store and buy something.
At the grocer a person can buy fresh, raw, untainted meats and produce appropriate for pet carnivores at less than $1 per pound. Slightly out-of-date meats, sale items, trimmings or other still excellent products that cannot be put in the meat case can be even less. True, if you are to purchase the ingredients listed above in perfect human grade organic form (as many RF producers boast) the cost could be far greater. But at least you would know what you are getting. RF foods can cost as much as $7 per pound with an average of about $3-4 per pound (not including shipping to the customer's door) and most of that cost is going into freezing, transportation and profits through a whole chain of participants. Here is a case where a consumer gets to pay more (a whole lot more) and get less (a whole lot less). Isn't marketing a wonderful thing?
A Better Alternative
Fresh foods fed in variety are without question the perfect form of nutrition. Appropriately designed supplements to help reduce the risk of food-borne pathogens and oxidation, and to help balance high meat meals and provide a spectrum of vegetable-based nutrients and nutraceuticals can also be of great benefit. Anything less than this is a compromise. The next best alternative is packaged dried raw foods that have incorporated in them food technology to impede pathogens, parasites and oxidation. The low water activity of these products is a great inhibitor of pathogens and the low level of moisture make storage and shipping efficient and environmentally friendly. Good quality table scraps and properly designed dried extruded and canned foods can be mixed into the diet rotation with benefit as well.
Consumers must learn the principles of fresh foods fed in variety and to trust in nature. Every pet owner desires the best for a beloved pet, and is correct in thinking food is an essential element in achieving that goal. But it is incorrect to believe that another person can do more for their pet's health than they can do themselves. All that is required is a little understanding and use of common sense.
[ NOTE: To that end, the Wysong Institute makes available a free e-Health Letter, a free one-hour CD entitled, "The Thinking Person's Master Key To Health," healthy product alternatives designed intelligently with health as the number one objective, and books and recipes for anyone wanting to take control of their own and their family's and pet's health. See www.wysonginstitute.org ]
Cano-Muñoz, G. (1991). Manual on meat cold store operation and management. FAO Animal Production And Health Paper 92. Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations, Rome.
FDA Food Code (1999). U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. Pub. No. PB99-115925. Washington, D.C. 20250
Food Safety and Inspection Service (2004). FOCUS ON: Freezing. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Washington, D.C. 20250
Klose, A.A., Lineweaver, H., and Palmer, H.H. (1968). Thawing turkeys at ambient air temperature. Food Tech. 22:1310-1314.
Muldrew, K. and McGann, L.E. (1999). Cryobiology - A Short Course. http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kmuldrew/cryo_course/cryo_chap13_1.html
Snyder, O. P. (1999). Thawing At Ambient Temperature On The Counter. Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management, St. Paul, MN.
Wysong, R. L. (2004). Nutrition is a Serious Health Matter: The serious responsibility of manufacturing and selling. Wysong Institute, Midland, MI.
Wysong, R. L. (1990). Lipid Nutrition: Understanding Fats and Oils in Health and Disease. Midland, MI: Inquiry Press.
Wysong R. L. (1993). Rationale for Animal Nutrition. Midland, MI: Inquiry Press.
Wysong, R. L. (2000-2005). Wysong e-Health Letter. Wysong Institute, Midland, MI. For subscriptions: http://www.wysong.net/subscribehl.shtml, and archived at http://www.wysong.net/archivesehl.shtml
Wysong, R. L. (2002). The Truth About Pet Foods. Midland, MI: Inquiry Press.
Wysong, R. L. (2003, January 14). What to do to reverse and prevent acidemia. The Wysong e-Health Letter. http://www.wysong.net/health/post_101_011403.shtml Wysong Institute, Midland, MI.
Wysong, R. L. (2004). The Thinking Person's Master Key to Health (60 Minute CD Discussion). Wysong Institute, Midland, MI.
Dr. Wysong is a former veterinary clinician and surgeon, college instructor in human anatomy, physiology and the origin of life, inventor of numerous medical, surgical, nutritional, athletic and fitness products and devices, research director for the present company by his name and founder of the philanthropic Wysong Institute. He is author of The Creation-Evolution Controversy now in its eleventh printing, a new two volume set on philosophy for living, several books on nutrition, prevention and health for people and animals and over 15 years of monthly health newsletters. He may be contacted at Wysong@Wysong.net and a free subscription to his e-Health Letter is available at http://www.wysong.net
More than two hundred at-risk pets from Louisiana and Texas were flown to the Pacific Northwest Saturday in hopes of finding them a forever home.
Isis and Thor are a bonded pair of 7-year-old lynx point Siamese cats available for adoption at Help for Homeless Pets. The large, short-haired cats are sister ...
Dozens of people came out for Genesis Health Club's Dance for Paws Zumbathon fundraiser Saturday.
Their body temperatures increase as the heat climbs.
The San Diego Humane Society is offering free microchipping through the end of May at its vaccine clinics in celebration of Chip Your Pet Month.
RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) -- Whenever it's hot, it's important to take a little extra time and effort to stay cool. The weekend's forecast is just a taste of what's to come ...
How does spaying and neutering cats help you save money?
Health Officals warn not to keep your animal companions outside for too long.
Tick season is here, and flea season is soon to follow. These pests don't just annoy our cats and dogs, but they also serve as vectors that spread a large.
The American Veterinary Medical Association (avma.org) has interesting numbers on its website, showing how quickly the temperature rises in a parked car.
South Burlington Last week's Pet with Potential, Zoey, is still looking for her forever home. The playful pup is recovering from an injury, but will be ready to zoom ...
Illumination's “The Secret Life Of Pets” films do something the “Despicable Me” studio's other offerings have yet to accomplish: They allow younger audiences to ...
The following animals are available for adoption at the Summit County Animal Shelter. For questions, please contact the shelter at 970-668-3230.CATSMISSY ...
Possible record-breaking heat is expected this weekend as temps soar into the 90s. Here's how to keep your pets safe.
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Red Cross is also offering shelter for the pets of those staying in shelters as a result of the tornado damage. The temporary pet ...
Whenever it's hot, it's important to take a little extra time and effort to stay cool. The weekend's forecast is just a taste of what's to come as the summer months ...
Laughs are thinner on the ground in a story that pitches the animated chums into unfamiliar territory.
Where to get a license, walk your dog or find urgent care.
Nashville Humane Association is holding a special pet adoption event today, at which professional athletes are set to appear, to celebrate NHA's partnership ...
Pegula Sports & Entertainment and the Buffalo Sabres Foundation are partnering with Tito's Handmade Vodka, to host a One Buffalo Pet Adoption Event on ...
Adopted: Arrow was adopted from the Animal League of Green Valley, Toby and Louie, Gus, and Nemo were all adopted from Pima Animal Care Center.
The Independent Southern Utah Adoptable Pets Guide features adoptable pets from various animal shelters throughout southern Utah. Get a new pet today!
There are so many ways we fail our pets – from daily neglect to the owner who had her healthy dog killed to be buried with her, asks Chas Newkey-Burden.
The sun's out and the surf is up for our pets, too, but here are some things to keep in mind.
Fleas and ticks are not the only parasites that can cause problems for our dogs, cats, and other pets. Mosquitos are the number one vector of diseases and ...
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A family of four and their three pets are displaced after a fire damaged their home Saturday afternoon, a fire official said. The fire was ...
Sox is a 4-year-old female Galgo from Spain. She just recently made her big adventure over to the United States in May. She is a very affectionate dog that loves ...
Here are this week's available pets from the Humane Society of Lake County. To see more adoptable animals, go to www.humanelake.com.
Recently my husband and I had a close encounter with death. No, not one of us or any of our family but two of our little fur babies.Randy and I adopted a feral ...
State agencies came to Muskogee on Saturday and joined with Fur Babies Adoptions and Rescue to look for "possible backup shelters if needed," for pets ...
WAKE COUNTY, N.C. (WNCN) - June is National Pet Preparedness Month and it is also when Care First Animal Hospital and the Wake County SPCA will ...
These pets are available for adoption from the Humane Society of Missouri. Hours and directions • hsmo.org. Because of the quick turnaround time of these ...
Warner Bros has pushed back the release of DC Super Pets, its animated film based on the kids cartoon franchise, to May 22, 2022.
The California Senate voted 33-0 Thursday to let pet owners 18 and older purchase medical marijuana for their animals if they have a recommendation from a ...
Resilience is a major weapon in the fight against mental illness. One of the best ways to build resilience is to identify and support those things in our lives that ...
'Your dog is essentially treated like a table under the law.'
Cold Noses, the Times-Union's weekly pet column, features pets available for adoption at area government-run shelters. For more go to Jacksonville.com and ...
Everything and everyone we care about in our life has insurance. Whether it is our vehicle, home, health, or life, we carry an insurance policy in case the ...
With temperatures set to approach the triple digits during the next week, state health officials are warning people to take caution while outside.
Veterinarians in California could soon recommend medical marijuana for pets. The California Senate voted 33-0 Thursday to let pet owners 18 and older ...
They might be cute, but animals like otters are difficult to take care of. Plus, there are ecological concerns inherent in removing them from the wild.
The following animals have been brought to the Helping Hands Humane Society, 5720 S.W. 21st. The telephone number is 233-7325.Cats Sex and age ...
Meet Christopher, Ruby, Stella, and Winnie at the adoption center inside Marshfield Mall from 4:30-6 p.m. Monday-Friday and Saturdays from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m..
Cat Rescue and Adoption NetworkMr. Peaches is a friendly orange and white tabby male kitty about 4½ years old, with extra soft fur. When he was found in a ...
May is mental health month. Here is a fun fact: Talking to your pet can help you and your health by combating loneliness.
Preparing for the worst can help you keep your pets with you, keep them healthy, and maximize the chances of reunification if they must be left behind.
A Marion man is in jail after his home was found with a number of exotic animals inside.
Cats, dogs, pet adoption and other pet events in and around Colorado Springs.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance says they have seen a decrease in the number of dogs getting their core vaccinations, including the rabies vaccine.
AnnaDachshund/chihuahua/terrier mix; female. See FurrEverPetsRescue.org or call/text Jane White, (903) 399-6205.
When Olaf, a four-year-old Siberian husky, was diagnosed with diabetes in February, there wasn't anything his owners, Gina and Brian Dacey, wouldn't do to ...
Ivy is a very sweet and affectionate four-year-old female, gray standard Schnauzer mix available for adoption at Animal Services – Lompoc.
Information from the Humboldt County Sheriff's YouTube Channel answers questions about leash law, when it is legal to shoot an animal, what to do about a ...
"[Millennials] are more likely to go to the vet more frequently and more willing to listen to an advanced standard of care," Jonathan Ayers says.
The SPCA of Wake County is running a pet adoption deal for veterans and military families through Memorial Day.
Ash is a 1-year-old tan American shelter dog who is available for adoption through Animal Allies in Duluth. Ash is an energetic and friendly guy who would ...
Spay and Neuter Kansas City and Wayside Waifs went door-to-door in a Kansas City neighborhood Wednesday morning to share resources with pet owners.
Colleges are increasingly allowing students to bring their cats and dogs to live with them on campus.
MACON, Ga. -- Some people may think it's as simple as rolling down your windows to keep your car cool. But experts say even with your windows down, ...
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Check out furry friends up for adoption this weekend. The devoted volunteer animal rescue groups listed below have dozens of animals ...
The first 150 pets got to experience the one stop shop.
The Seattle Seahawks quarterback has joined the Banfield Foundation's Safer Together initiative in an effort to provide more resources to pet owners in abusive ...
The anti-vaccination movement has gone to the dogs — prompting concerned veterinarians to warn pet owners are sentencing their pups “to death.”.
Daniel Island residents claim they've found dozens of rat poison pellets in their yards. Now, several claim their pets are getting sick because of it. "Either way it's ...
A national survey of cat owners and dog owners has revealed a lot about our attitudes and behaviors toward our pets.
Aldi is known for its deals on food and drink, but the German supermarket chain also sells a number of non-food items, including stuff for pets. The store recently ...
Law professor Gary Francione tells CNN's Michael Smerconish the reasons why it's not unusual that a pet owner had her dog euthanized and buried with her ...
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. — Meet Roxy, a 2-year-old female Pit-bull mix. She has been in the care of Gwinnett Animal Welfare since April of this year. She is ...
If you're thinking of taking a pet along on your next flight, be prepared. This summer you'll face new restrictions on flying with animals. Over the past six months, ...
WASHINGTON (ABC7/WJLA) - You want the best for your pets and when they're sick, sometimes that means buying expensive prescription pet food. Because ...
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The growing anti-vax movement has spread to the pet population. Fewer dog and cat owners are opting to get their furry friends ...
California Senate Bill 258 would provide $5 million to help shelters better serve homeless pet owners.
Michelle Nestle never really understood the meaning of a flash flood until water rushed into her house in the middle of the night. It was the summer of 2017, and ...
As Americans spend more than ever on their furry friends, Walmart is getting pet-smart with products and services, including an expanded fleet of in-store ...
Nurturing and caring for your pet may be easy but paying for quality veterinary care over the course of your pet's life might not always be quite as easy. Most.
Veterinarians and funeral homes in Virginia are rejecting the idea that pets should be buried with their owners after a recent case in which a dog was euthanized ...
HIGH POINT, NC-- While CBD Oil is known for its wide variety of health benefits in humans, there has been no formal studies on how it affects your pets. CBD is ...
Americans' obsession with their pets is lifting Chewy, the online pet food and supply company.
We took a stab at understanding why your dog is being so extra. Watch this video to see these dogs' explanation for their behavior. Wondering why your pet is ...
'Revenue numbers are up because of the Trump economy, and we've kept state spending increases under the rate of inflation. My preference would be that we ...
ATLANTA, May 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- May is National Pet Month, which is a great way to acknowledge the many benefits pets have on the lives of humans.
After over 200 animals arrived in under 48 hours, the Harris County Animal Shelter needs your help to save lives!
Winners will be announced on the morning newscast, Live in the D and 4pm newscast starting Wednesday, and right here on ClickOnDetroit.
Products containing the hemp extract have garnered a flurry of interest among fans who take it for everything from sleep to stress reduction. Now, people are ...
EDGEWATER — The six candidates for Pet Mayor of Edgewater have been selected and they are adorable. In order to promote the neighborhood as “the most ...
TAMAQUA, Pa. -- A fire Sunday night in one part of Schuylkill County ended up revealing much more than expected. When fire officials arrived, they found the ...
DANIEL ISLAND, S.C. (WCBD) – Pets on Daniel Island are getting sick. Some neighbors even say that their pets have died after ingesting rat poison that was ...
SAN DIEGO -- Four-legged furballs may boost the risk for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and exposure to canine and feline feces could be a crucial factor, ...
New York (CNN Business) Grumpy Cat has died, but she left quite a legacy. She's one of the first pets to make big money for its owner as a successful influencer.
Time for another Fortbyte! Like clockwork now that we're fully into Season 9, a little daily ritual of exploring the Fortnite map. Yesterday saw us at a track-side ...
Ellen Baker loves rescuing cats, but she will forever have a special place in her heart for Bella, who died recently after a night at a pet hospital.
WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 11: Actor Justin Theroux attends the screening of the film "On The Basis of Sex" at The National Archives on December 11, ...
"Anybody who has a pet should probably have this in their home."
Just Food For Dogs — the self-proclaimed "first-ever health and wellness kitchen for dogs" — just opened up shop in Union Square's Petco. The company's ...
All 143 people aboard a Boeing 737 survived after the plane skidded off a runway into a river in Jacksonville, but three pets died.
By Debbie Wachter. New Castle News. A New Castle fireman reportedly underwent surgery today after he broke his leg while fighting an early-Friday morning ...
ABOVE: Caesar (male) and Julius (female), Pets of the Week, are among the 13 kittens now available at Kitten Corner in the Williamson County Animal Center.
A Chesterfield woman put in her will that her beloved dog should be put down upon her death so its remains can be buried with her.
The rising waters in Miami, Oklahoma are driving out dozens of animals, bringing a surge of displaced pets to shelters. One of those pets got lucky.
It's no secret that some dogs can detect illness in humans. However, researchers are still figuring out how dogs might help with cancer diagnosis since studies ...
RELATED PET ARTICLES FROM THE PET INFORMATION CHANNEL::
Stop Cat Scratching Today!
Your new living room furniture is in tatters. Your nerves are frayed.
How I Get More Training Done On My Horses In 1/2 The Time
Here's a simple way..
Dog Training Book - Why Buy One? When Everything is Free Online!
I'm a dog lover who believes that every dog owners should train their dogs if they truly love and care for them. Because I believe that dog training gives dogs a happier and healthier life.
Canine Communication and Body Language
A couple of years ago a Japanese electronics company came up with a Gizmo which they claimed could convert dogs barks, yips and whines into human language, thereby allowing us to understand "Doggie" speak for the first time. I was on a radio program recently, discussing the merits and usefulness of a new dog collar that was also a mobile phone.
Crate Training Dogs: The Right Way and the Wrong Way - Part Two
Part2: Does your puppy want to be crate trained? Yes! in fact, he does. Your puppy or dog will soon see his crate as a place of security, IF it's approached correctly.
How to become Top Dog - A Dog Owners Guide to Sanity
Peeing on the carpet, knocking you down, or stealing dinner off the counter are all signs that your dog doesn't respect your rules. In other words, you are not the Alpha Dog.
How do you build a goldfish pond outdoors?The tools you will need are a shovel, pond liner and underlayment, a long enough rope, coping stones and decorations, plants, a pump (you will need a pump to run a filter, fountain, or waterfall and it will keep the water circulating and the plants healthy), a filter system and some cooperative friends or family members. Now you can get started.
Pet Owners Are The Majority Population In The U.S.
According to recent statistics, an astounding 65% of all U.S.
Author of Keep Fleas Off. Still using all the chemicals you can find to combat those fleas? Have you done everything outside of trying to shoot the fleas off the dog? You are not alone, there are an estimated more than 50 million households with pets, and yes, most are not just fighting the war against these pesky parasites, they are losing the war. Most people do not realize just how devastating the losses are.
Bast, The Beloved Protector of Cats
She is the protector of cats, women and children. The ancient Egyptians celebrated her feastday on October 31 with convivial merry making, music, dancing in the streets and drinking with friends - the sort of holiday we would recognise instantly.
The ABCs of Beaks
Beaks, Bills, Face Knives, Beakers - whatever we want to call them, they are an integral part of our Hookbills! So, let's break the beak down into some understandable lessons: A. Anatomy - What is a beak? It is not "dead" material, like hair or fingernails - rather, it is a living organ, the tip of which contains a bundle of sensitive nerves.
The Different Breeds Of Dogs
The American Kennel Club recognizes 150 different dog breeds. There are seven different groups in which the dog can belong.
Dog Travel - Taking a Vacation with Your Dog
Like most dog owners, you probably take your dog with you on weekend excursions and trips to the country. When it comes time to take a longer vacation, however, we always face the dilemma of what to do with Fido.
Do You Know About Boxer Dogs?
Boxer Dogs Information - What Are Boxer Dogs? Boxer dogs are great all around dog breeds, distinguished canine and the coolest, most lovable dog out there! Boxer Dogs are medium-built and strong breed that are so named because of its habit of standing on the hind legs to begin a fight and boxing with the front paws. By nature, Boxer dogs are working dogs.
Those Amazing Dog Noses -- Fun Facts About A Chilly Little Organ
If you thought dog noses were just a source of smeary prints on your windows, think again!========How Nose Prints save dog's lives======Nose prints are used to identify dogs in the same way finger prints are used to identify human beings. Breeders and trainers keep a dog's nose prints on file as part of its permanent record and insurance companies now require them whenever a dog is to be bonded.
Proper Diet For the Discus Fish
The Discus fish has its habitat in the South American waters of Brazil and Peru. Discus fish are classified as "grazers", and in the wild constantly forage for food.
Worms in Your Dog... Gross!
Of all the parasites a dog can catch, worms take home first prize for Most Disgusting. Nobody wants to imagine little worms crawling around in their dog's digestive system, but it's a fairly common ailment that's easily passed from dog to dog.
Pet Identification Tags And The Internet
The greatest fear of most pet owners is that there is a chance the family pet will get lost, and not be returned. But many of these same pet owners fail to take the necessary precautions needed to safeguard their pets.
Vet Check - Well-Bird Check Up
I know there are differing opinions on the subject of well-bird check ups. Some people believe in having your apparently healthy parrot checked out once a year by a qualified avian vet, while others claim that taking a health bird into a vet office exposes them to germs they might not otherwise be exposed to.
The Joy Of Having Puppies!
One of the greatest thrills for a little boy or girl is having new puppies in the home. Puppies, dogs and having a puppy bring a sense of well being and comfort to people of all ages, whether young or old.
Find used office equipment in Ohio at www.OfficeJax.Has.It
Find the best fleamarkets at www.FleaMarketWorld.Has.It
Find electric powered vehicles at www.NoGas.Drives.It
Katrina's pet sitting and house sitting services Akron Ohio
Find homes for rent
Northwest Veterinary Practice
|[Back to Top]
|akron ohio pet supply pet store littlest pet shop pet store supply pet shop adoption pet insurance pet grooming pet pet virtual pet services pet shop groomers pet care pet medication pet adopt pet food pet product cemetery pet sale health pet animal pet bed pet carrier pet name pet door pet nutrition pet wonder general pet memorial pet scan boarding grooming pet teacher pet plus supply gate pet friendly hotel pet exotic pet medicine pet discount pet sound pet tag dog pet supply wholesale pet hotel pet rescue bird pet sitter pet boarding pet online pet store boarding pet sitting pet care salt water aquariums fresh water aquariums pet health pet meds pet classifieds pet id pet tag dog free pet puppy pet loss pet related services animal pet rabbit pet turtle pet sex little pet shop exotic pet store dubai pet travel pet place own pet services sitting flea dip pet pharmacy food natural pet products pet training pet shelter pet finder animals pet rat clothes pet pet stroller pet shampoos health insurance pet fish pet lost pet grooming mobile pet banfield hospital pet hospitals free pet stuff pet finder pet supermarket pets allowed pet kennel pet contest pet photo free pet online pet edge pet grooming pet cat pet holistic veterinarian pet care for your pet sitting eye nose ears pet finder dog clothing Westminster dog show online pet store dog eating feces? bad dog behavior problems? puppies for sale Westminster kennel dog itchy itchyitchydog baghdad dog insider dog training tips remedies report reviews recommended procedures|