Currency Trading Information Channel
How To Control Fear And Greed In Trading
There is an old saying that the market is driven by fear and greed. Anyone that has placed more than a couple of trades will surely have experienced these two emotions.
All traders experience emotion. The distinction between a successful trader and an unsuccessful trader comes down to how they deal with that emotion. Let's look at how these emotions affect a successful trader and an unsuccessful trader in various scenarios:
1. The trader's three previous trades have been losers. The unsuccessful trader will consider this before placing his next trade and be fearful that this trade will also end up a loser. This might result in a delay in placing the trade whilst waiting for the price to confirm that they were right - thus missing a perfectly good entry. They might suddenly discover that some other factor, previously unconsidered, is a reason not to enter the trade at all. Basically they will be fearful of another loss.
The successful trader will have tested their strategy extensively and will be aware that a series of losing trades is very probable. They will also measure their success on whether they place the trade according to their system rather than whether it is purely a winner or a loser. They trust their system and place the trade when the set-up occurs. The fear is removed from the trade because they know that several losers in a row is to be expected.
2. Once a trade is entered it immediately moves against the trader. The unsuccessful trader will fear that they have made a mistake. They fear making another loss so they wait and hope that the market moves back in their favour. The fear of taking another loss now controls their trading decisions, they might move their stop further out so the market doesn't take them out for a loss. They might ignore the trade, hoping that it will get back to at least breakeven - the daytrade becomes a position trade of a few days and then it becomes a long term 'buy and hold' strategy.
The successful trader, of course, will know from extensive testing of his system that such trades happen and that the trade might come round or it might hit the stop. His stop is in place and it will remain in place - the system dictates where the stop is, not the trader's fears.
3. Once a trade is entered it immediately moves strongly in the traders favour. The unsuccessful trader will suddenly see a villa in the sun or a new sports car flashing before his eyes. This trade is going to the moon so he removes his price target and decides to let it go. Greed has now completely taken over his trading decisions and the previous plan (if any) is ignored. Of course, markets rarely move in one direction for long and when the market turns the greed turns to fear as the dream slips away and the trader tries to hold on until the price gets back to where it was. The daytrade becomes a position trade...
The successful trader has set a target, either a certain price or a timed exit and will stick to it. If the trade only takes 5 minutes then that's just great, there's plenty that won't.
Fear and greed are human emotions - we can't do anything about that. But, when it comes to trading we need a way to control those emotions. Here's a few tips:
1. Know your system. If you have confidence in your system this helps to override those feelings of fear and greed. Confidence can only come from designing and extensively testing your own ideas. You can never be fully confident when you rely on someone else's tips or signals.
2. Automate your system. Computers do not suffer from fear and greed, they won't hold onto a loser praying for a miracle or screaming at the screen that the market is wrong - they'll just cut it if that is what the system says to do.
3. Money management. Quite simply, no matter how good your system you must only risk a sensible amount - and always money you can afford to lose.
Tim Wreford runs Online Futures Trading, a website that provides information and resources for traders. Tim also provides a free day trading system, the results of which are updated daily on the site.
MORE RESOURCES updated Mon. June / 27 / 2022
The Best Forex Brokers and FX Trading Platforms in 2022 ABC Action News Tampa Bay
What are the Benefits of Currency Trading for Corporate Leaders? Analytics Insight
4 Ways COVID Boosted Currency Trading Yonkers Tribune.
10 Best Low Spread Forex Brokers for June 2022 Business 2 Community
10 Best Forex Brokers for June 2022 Business 2 Community
What Every Australian Forex Trader Needs to Know Analytics Insight
4 Reasons Environmentalists Care About Forex Trading Green Prophet
Forex Forecast: Pairs in Focus DailyForex.com
Dow Futures Trade Lower After Positive Week Investing.com India
MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES USD 2177500000 MULTI-CURRENCY REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES - PR Newswire
MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES USD 2177500000 MULTI-CURRENCY REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES PR Newswire
Dollar trading margins hit Sh10 in currency woes Business Daily
Forex Today: USD/JPY Hits New 20-Year High Price DailyForex.com
Thousands Of Armenian Workers Face Layoffs After Dramatic Rise Of The Dram - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
Thousands Of Armenian Workers Face Layoffs After Dramatic Rise Of The Dram Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
Billionaire Ron Baron Says Recent Market Weakness Offers Huge Buying Opportunity; Here Are 3 Beaten-Down Stocks Analysts Like - Yahoo Finance
Billionaire Ron Baron Says Recent Market Weakness Offers Huge Buying Opportunity; Here Are 3 Beaten-Down Stocks Analysts Like Yahoo Finance
Forex Today: Hawkish RBA Sees July Rate Hike DailyForex.com
Basics of Forex Trading – Part 1 Yahoo Finance
GBP/USD Forex Signal: Evenly Balanced DailyForex.com
Foreign Exchange Margin Trading Market would Register a Healthy Growth of USD 49.93 billion by 2027 :Gaitame, Central Tanshi Online Trading, Money Partners, Daiichi Commodities, FXCM, Matsui Securities, FX PRIME Corporation, Gaitame Online – India - Indian Defence News
Foreign Exchange Margin Trading Market would Register a Healthy Growth of USD 49.93 billion by 2027 :Gaitame, Central Tanshi Online Trading, Money Partners, Daiichi Commodities, FXCM, Matsui Securities, FX PRIME Corporation, Gaitame Online – India Indian Defence News
StoneX Executes First Bitcoin Cash-Settled Swap GuruFocus.com
Dealing with forex market manipulators with iron hand The Financial Express
Future of Bitcoin Trading in Mali London Post
What is forex trading? Bankrate.com
Basics of Forex Trading - Part 1 FX Empire
What are the Pros and Cons of Forex Trading? RealtyBizNews
Moscow Limits Foreign-Currency Trading to Shore Up Struggling Ruble The Wall Street Journal
What is forex trading and how does it work? The European Sting
How to Know Which Currency Pair to Trade Startup.info
Forex (Foreign Exchange) Explained | US News U.S News & World Report Money
Currency Definition | US News U.S News & World Report Money
Proven Forex Trading Strategies that Work in 2022 BusinessLine
FX trading: A loser's game? ETF Stream
Trading Forex vs Futures: Key Differences IG International
Is forex trading a way to make a living? Nairametrics
The Most Common Warning Signs of a Forex Scam Finance Monthly
Currency trading in overdrive with dollar at highest level in two decades (NYSEARCA:UUP) - Seeking Alpha
Currency trading in overdrive with dollar at highest level in two decades (NYSEARCA:UUP) Seeking Alpha
BC: Tips for Success in Forex Trading Punch Newspapers
CEO Of Cryptocurrency And Forex Trading Platform Charged With Fraudulent Scheme Involving Over $59 Million - Department of Justice
CEO Of Cryptocurrency And Forex Trading Platform Charged With Fraudulent Scheme Involving Over $59 Million Department of Justice
What is Hedging and how can it be used in Forex Trading? Deccan Herald
Forex Trading TD Ameritrade
Five Myths About Forex Trading Tech Guide
How to Trade Forex TD Ameritrade
Best books to learn Forex Trading from scratch Free Press Journal
Forex Trading Hours: Limitless Trading in an Endless Market The Coin Republic
Currency Investing Makes a Comeback | RIAIntel RIAIntel.com
Even the Foreign-Exchange Market Is Getting Kind of Crazy The Wall Street Journal
Why forex trading is not gambling Nairametrics
FOREX.com Review | The Ascent The Motley Fool
How To Compare The Relative Strength Of Currencies Finance Monthly
Russian Authorities Crack Down on Illegal Currency Trading The Moscow Times
Changing the Top Global Currency Means Changing the Patterns of Global Trade - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Changing the Top Global Currency Means Changing the Patterns of Global Trade Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Is forex trading halal or haram? The Armchair Trader
How Currency Trading Works Investopedia