Currency Trading Information Channel
How To Control Fear And Greed In Trading
There is an old saying that the market is driven by fear and greed. Anyone that has placed more than a couple of trades will surely have experienced these two emotions.
All traders experience emotion. The distinction between a successful trader and an unsuccessful trader comes down to how they deal with that emotion. Let's look at how these emotions affect a successful trader and an unsuccessful trader in various scenarios:
1. The trader's three previous trades have been losers. The unsuccessful trader will consider this before placing his next trade and be fearful that this trade will also end up a loser. This might result in a delay in placing the trade whilst waiting for the price to confirm that they were right - thus missing a perfectly good entry. They might suddenly discover that some other factor, previously unconsidered, is a reason not to enter the trade at all. Basically they will be fearful of another loss.
The successful trader will have tested their strategy extensively and will be aware that a series of losing trades is very probable. They will also measure their success on whether they place the trade according to their system rather than whether it is purely a winner or a loser. They trust their system and place the trade when the set-up occurs. The fear is removed from the trade because they know that several losers in a row is to be expected.
2. Once a trade is entered it immediately moves against the trader. The unsuccessful trader will fear that they have made a mistake. They fear making another loss so they wait and hope that the market moves back in their favour. The fear of taking another loss now controls their trading decisions, they might move their stop further out so the market doesn't take them out for a loss. They might ignore the trade, hoping that it will get back to at least breakeven - the daytrade becomes a position trade of a few days and then it becomes a long term 'buy and hold' strategy.
The successful trader, of course, will know from extensive testing of his system that such trades happen and that the trade might come round or it might hit the stop. His stop is in place and it will remain in place - the system dictates where the stop is, not the trader's fears.
3. Once a trade is entered it immediately moves strongly in the traders favour. The unsuccessful trader will suddenly see a villa in the sun or a new sports car flashing before his eyes. This trade is going to the moon so he removes his price target and decides to let it go. Greed has now completely taken over his trading decisions and the previous plan (if any) is ignored. Of course, markets rarely move in one direction for long and when the market turns the greed turns to fear as the dream slips away and the trader tries to hold on until the price gets back to where it was. The daytrade becomes a position trade...
The successful trader has set a target, either a certain price or a timed exit and will stick to it. If the trade only takes 5 minutes then that's just great, there's plenty that won't.
Fear and greed are human emotions - we can't do anything about that. But, when it comes to trading we need a way to control those emotions. Here's a few tips:
1. Know your system. If you have confidence in your system this helps to override those feelings of fear and greed. Confidence can only come from designing and extensively testing your own ideas. You can never be fully confident when you rely on someone else's tips or signals.
2. Automate your system. Computers do not suffer from fear and greed, they won't hold onto a loser praying for a miracle or screaming at the screen that the market is wrong - they'll just cut it if that is what the system says to do.
3. Money management. Quite simply, no matter how good your system you must only risk a sensible amount - and always money you can afford to lose.
Tim Wreford runs Online Futures Trading, a website that provides information and resources for traders. Tim also provides a free day trading system, the results of which are updated daily on the site.
MORE RESOURCES updated Sat. June / 12 / 2021
How to Make Money with Forex Trading for Beginners? State-Journal.com
Forex Trading, All You Need to Know BusinessMole
Forex Trading, a Beginner’s Guide to the Basics News Anyway
Must Read eBooks for Forex Trading in 2021 Good e-Reader
What's allowed and what's not in forex trading BusinessLine
How To Choose The Right Currency Trading Indicate Company LA Canyon News
Best Day Trading Strategy Newswire
5 ways to find a Currency Trading Indicator in 2021 Odisha Diary
Foreign Exchange Software Market 2021 Global Demand and Emerging Trends by 2028- eMoneyexchangesoft, Thomson Reuters FX Trading, AFEXDirect, Banking Circle Real-time FX – KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper
Foreign Exchange Software Market 2021 Global Demand and Emerging Trends by 2028- eMoneyexchangesoft, Thomson Reuters FX Trading, AFEXDirect, Banking Circle Real-time FX – KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper
Tick Volume in Forex EarnForex News
Cryptocurrency : Interactive Brokers plans to offer cryptocurrency trading later this summer – Explica .co - Explica
Cryptocurrency : Interactive Brokers plans to offer cryptocurrency trading later this summer – Explica .co Explica
What are the pros and cons of trading Forex? Australian Times
Forex Trading – How Do I begin? - NuWireInvestor NuWire Investor
China / US Commerce heads agree to manage differences properly and agree to push forward with trade /... - Forex Crunch
China / US Commerce heads agree to manage differences properly and agree to push forward with trade /... Forex Crunch
Auction system can't end parallel market Zimbabwe Independent
GBP/EUR: Pound Slips Away From €1.1650 Currency Live
USD: The tone of the June Fed meeting should help to stabilize the recent dollar’s slide – TD Securities - Forex Crunch
USD: The tone of the June Fed meeting should help to stabilize the recent dollar’s slide – TD Securities Forex Crunch
USD/INR: Rupee Rises As Stocks Hit Record High Currency Live
The 6 Best Online Forex Trading Classes of 2021 Investopedia
Bitfarms Provides Corporate Update GlobeNewswire
Forex Today: Bitcoin Hits 2-Week Low DailyForex.com
Things You Need To Know Before Entering Forex Trading NuWire Investor
Here's a restrained view on the Chinese yuan - more two-way trading, not a sharp downtrend - ForexLive
Here's a restrained view on the Chinese yuan - more two-way trading, not a sharp downtrend ForexLive
ETX Capital Launches Zero-Commission Stock CFD Trading DailyForex.com
What is Forex Trading? Investment U
is Forex Trading a Good Way to Make Money Online ? Love Belfast
A Forex Trading Guide For Beginners | Sponsored | state-journal.com State-Journal.com
WTI Crude Oil Forecast: Finds Buyers After Initially Dipping DailyForex.com
What is Forex Trading And Is It Right For Me? Your Money Geek
A beginner's guide to Forex trading BusinessMole
Best Forex Trading Platforms In 2021 Yahoo Finance
Best Forex Trading Platform Choices of 2021 Fortunly News
EUR/USD Forex Signal: Consolidation Continues DailyForex.com
The Currency-Market Snoozefest Might Not Last The Wall Street Journal
Owners of Foreign Currency Exchange Investment Company Indicted for $129 Million Wire Fraud and Conspiracy - Department of Justice
Owners of Foreign Currency Exchange Investment Company Indicted for $129 Million Wire Fraud and Conspiracy Department of Justice
Can I Get Rich With Forex in 2021? Study Breaks
A comprehensive understanding of Forex trading The Portugal News
Next Forex Trading Terms You Need to Know Before Trading North Forty News
Best online brokers for forex trading in June 2021 Bankrate.com
All The Differences Between Forex Trading and Crypto-Trading hackernoon.com
How does the currency market work? - NuWireInvestor NuWire Investor
Forex Brokers: Are They a Scam? | Investing | US News - U.S News & World Report Money - U.S News & World Report Money
Forex Brokers: Are They a Scam? | Investing | US News - U.S News & World Report Money U.S News & World Report Money
Report on State of Kenya’s Online Forex Trading Industry in 2021 Finance Magnates
Previous article Top 10 Forex Mentors in 2021 Influencive
COVID-19 and the Forex Market in 2021 Finance Magnates
Understanding the Gaps in Forex Trading Finance Magnates