Currency Trading Information Channel
10 Steps To Professional Day Trading
Everyone trades a little differently. The trading method outlined below is MY personal approach to trading. This method has worked for me for the last 20 years, and has helped me to avoid big draw downs since the mid 1980's. My trading strategy has helped me to make a good living trading.
It takes some time to learn my method of trading because it's based on tape reading and getting a "feel" for the market. This is *not* about a fast,easy formula to "get rich quick" while you sweat out every trade. Instead, this is about developing confidence and trading consistently without fear and without big draw downs.
Here is my 10 Step Approach to Learning My Style of Trading:
1. Practice exiting trades at break-even, using a one-tick target, a two or three tick soft stop (mental stop) and a 1.5 point hard stop. Never *allow* the market hit your hard stop. Exit by moving your target toward your hard stop, not by moving your hard stop towards your target. With time, all of this must become a reflex. You won't always be able to keep your losses down to 2 ticks, but only on rare occasions should you find yourself letting the market hit your hard stop. ("Rarely" means only about once every 50-100 trades after you get the hang of it.)
Even though your entries won't be good enough in the beginning to make a profit trading these tight soft stops, your entries will gradually improve until you turn the corner and become profitable.
Learn exits and entries separately. Don't let the one influence the other.
Taking losses this way takes dedication and discipline, so stick with it. It's the key to confident trading. If you never take large losses (and rarely medium size ones), the fear of loss pretty much goes away, and your confidence grows. Especially after your entries improve enough to support a "scalping" type exit strategy.
2. Every trade *in all market conditions* begins as a scalp. Let me clarify this: if you're in a choppy market and you're looking to get small gains, like a point or so, manage your initial hard and soft stops *exactly* the same way you would in a quick trend or any other type of market. That means keeping losses as close to 2 ticks as possible, taking lots of break even trades and exiting every time the market doesn't give you *instant gratification* (within a minute or so).
No matter what the market is doing, you must demand that it moves in your favor right after you enter, otherwise you get out as close to break even as possible. This means you'll be closing a lot of trades near break-even within the first minute. This is the foundation of learning to trade for consistent gains.
3. Don't worry about the commissions on break-even trades. If you do, you'll hold on to losing positions, begging them to turn around for you. This is called *hoping.* In this business, this type of *hoping* is the kiss of death. Your money-making trades must move your way in the first minute or less. When trades don't act right in the first minute, most of them will hit your hard stops.
So don't get hung up on the fact that your broker loves you. Who cares if he/she makes a living?
Your concern is *limiting losses*. I care more about this than anything else in trading. (Well-timed entries make my tight soft stops possible, so they're almost as important as the exits.)
4. Practice your entries until your timing is so good that you can *reasonably expect* the market to go your way immediately, before it goes more than 2 ticks against you. This is not easy at first, but if you stick with it, you'll get it.
5. Practice fading the emotional extremes on your entries. (Fading means entering in the opposite direction of the market's last move.) When an extreme NYSE-Tick (often above 1000 or below -1000) occurs at the same time the market accelerates into a support or resistance area, look for a price stall or reversal and fade the move. Fade the emotion.
6. Rarely, if ever, *chase* the market on your entries. Wait for a pullback to get onboard a trend.
I favor shorts over longs... I can get out of a short position quicker than I can get out of a long position. I don't know why. I like to say that I "see gravity better than helium." In the rare strong-trending markets where I may chase an entry, it's going to be a down trend, not an uptrend. I don't trust up trends enough to chase them. Maybe it's just a personal quirk and maybe not. I honestly don't know.
But it's interesting to note that most (not all) professional traders I've met are Bears and prefer short positions over longs. You should give it some thought and find out which direction works better for you. Are your losses bigger on shorts or longs? Specialize in one direction and trade the other direction only when things are looking real good.
7. Never let a gain turn into a loss. This will mean getting out of most trades a little (or a lot) too soon. You just have to live with it. Swing for home runs (greed) will ruin your trading. There is no mechanical formula that I know of, (such as, "move your stop to break even after you get 3 ticks gain") that will work. You have to develop a feel for how the market is acting at the moment, and use your feel to reduce your target or advance your hard stop. This comes with experience.
8. Develop a feel for the big picture movements of the market, not just the intraday action. Use the end-of-day market internals to analyze the market's mood and develop a daily bias.
9. Practice does *not* make perfect. Only *perfect practice* makes perfect. I learned this in my younger years, pursuing a professional baseball career. Perfect practice will keep your losses smaller than your gains in the trading business.
There are a lot of things involved in perfect practice. When you get tired, or when the phone rings, or whatnot, *don't trade*. Always, *always* exit trades exactly the way I've outlined above on every trade in every market condition. Always *wait* for your pitch, the well-timed setup for entering. Don't practice sloppy entries just because you're bored. Only perfect practice will help you. Anything else just amounts to practicing bad habits.
10. Get a mentor. I traded for 6 years before I learned to keep my losses small. My trading turned around immediately after I met my mentor and talked to him on the phone for one week. Is there any serious profession that you can learn without a mentor? Maybe there is, but I don't know of any. It's certainly not trading.
Mike Reed is author of TradeStalker's RBI Trader's Updates. He has been trading the Market for 23 years. His support and resistance numbers have been published on the internet since 1996. Mike's nightly support and resistance zones are specific and incredibly accurate. He offers an unlimited free trial of his nightly TradeStalker RBI Trader's Updates. He will be offering "live" training online as well. http://www.TradeStalker.com
Copyright 2005 Mike Reed
MORE RESOURCES updated Mon. June / 27 / 2022
The Best Forex Brokers and FX Trading Platforms in 2022 ABC Action News Tampa Bay
What are the Benefits of Currency Trading for Corporate Leaders? Analytics Insight
4 Ways COVID Boosted Currency Trading Yonkers Tribune.
10 Best Low Spread Forex Brokers for June 2022 Business 2 Community
10 Best Forex Brokers for June 2022 Business 2 Community
What Every Australian Forex Trader Needs to Know Analytics Insight
Pros and Cons of Forex Trading ForexLive
4 Reasons Environmentalists Care About Forex Trading Green Prophet
Forex Forecast: Pairs in Focus DailyForex.com
Dow Futures Trade Lower After Positive Week Investing.com India
MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES USD 2177500000 MULTI-CURRENCY REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES - PR Newswire
MERCURIA ENERGY TRADING SA SUCCESSFULLY CLOSES USD 2177500000 MULTI-CURRENCY REVOLVING CREDIT FACILITIES PR Newswire
Dollar trading margins hit Sh10 in currency woes Business Daily
Forex Today: USD/JPY Hits New 20-Year High Price DailyForex.com
Thousands Of Armenian Workers Face Layoffs After Dramatic Rise Of The Dram - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
Thousands Of Armenian Workers Face Layoffs After Dramatic Rise Of The Dram Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
Billionaire Ron Baron Says Recent Market Weakness Offers Huge Buying Opportunity; Here Are 3 Beaten-Down Stocks Analysts Like - Yahoo Finance
Billionaire Ron Baron Says Recent Market Weakness Offers Huge Buying Opportunity; Here Are 3 Beaten-Down Stocks Analysts Like Yahoo Finance
Forex Today: Hawkish RBA Sees July Rate Hike DailyForex.com
Basics of Forex Trading – Part 1 Yahoo Finance
GBP/USD Forex Signal: Evenly Balanced DailyForex.com
Foreign Exchange Margin Trading Market would Register a Healthy Growth of USD 49.93 billion by 2027 :Gaitame, Central Tanshi Online Trading, Money Partners, Daiichi Commodities, FXCM, Matsui Securities, FX PRIME Corporation, Gaitame Online – India - Indian Defence News
Foreign Exchange Margin Trading Market would Register a Healthy Growth of USD 49.93 billion by 2027 :Gaitame, Central Tanshi Online Trading, Money Partners, Daiichi Commodities, FXCM, Matsui Securities, FX PRIME Corporation, Gaitame Online – India Indian Defence News
StoneX Executes First Bitcoin Cash-Settled Swap GuruFocus.com
Future of Bitcoin Trading in Mali London Post
What is forex trading? Bankrate.com
Basics of Forex Trading - Part 1 FX Empire
What are the Pros and Cons of Forex Trading? RealtyBizNews
Moscow Limits Foreign-Currency Trading to Shore Up Struggling Ruble The Wall Street Journal
What is forex trading and how does it work? The European Sting
Forex Trading for Beginners: The Essentials Business Insider Africa
How to Know Which Currency Pair to Trade Startup.info
Currency Definition | US News U.S News & World Report Money
Proven Forex Trading Strategies that Work in 2022 BusinessLine
FX trading: A loser's game? ETF Stream
Trading Forex vs Futures: Key Differences IG International
The Most Common Warning Signs of a Forex Scam Finance Monthly
Is forex trading a way to make a living? Nairametrics
Currency trading in overdrive with dollar at highest level in two decades (NYSEARCA:UUP) - Seeking Alpha
Currency trading in overdrive with dollar at highest level in two decades (NYSEARCA:UUP) Seeking Alpha
BC: Tips for Success in Forex Trading Punch Newspapers
CEO Of Cryptocurrency And Forex Trading Platform Charged With Fraudulent Scheme Involving Over $59 Million - Department of Justice
CEO Of Cryptocurrency And Forex Trading Platform Charged With Fraudulent Scheme Involving Over $59 Million Department of Justice
What is Hedging and how can it be used in Forex Trading? Deccan Herald
What are the Top 10 Benefits of Forex Trading? SAPeople News
Forex Trading TD Ameritrade
Five Myths About Forex Trading Tech Guide
How to Trade Forex TD Ameritrade
Best books to learn Forex Trading from scratch Free Press Journal
Forex Trading Hours: Limitless Trading in an Endless Market The Coin Republic
Currency Investing Makes a Comeback | RIAIntel RIAIntel.com
Why forex trading is not gambling Nairametrics
Even the Foreign-Exchange Market Is Getting Kind of Crazy The Wall Street Journal
FOREX.com Review | The Ascent The Motley Fool
How To Compare The Relative Strength Of Currencies Finance Monthly
Russian Authorities Crack Down on Illegal Currency Trading The Moscow Times
Changing the Top Global Currency Means Changing the Patterns of Global Trade - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Changing the Top Global Currency Means Changing the Patterns of Global Trade Carnegie Endowment for International Peace