Mortgage and Refinancing Information Channel:
We would like to thank the local libraries, schools, and universities for recommending students to visit us when doing research on any of our information topics.
Understanding Mortgage Basics
As common as mortgages are, there are a surprisingly large number of us who are under false impressions about the way they function, and what they actually are. For one thing, though we do commonly call mortgages "home loans," this is not at all what they actually are. In fact, mortgages aren't loans at all, nor are they something that have been given to you by lenders. More accurately, it is a security instrument that you have provided to a lender. It is a document that protects your lender's interest with your property itself.
A mortgage functions in the following way:
- A mortgager (you) - also referred to as a borrower (leading to the false impression that it is a home loan) and the mortgagee, who is also called the lender (again, falsely leading you to think that a loan has been lent).
- The mortgage document itself produces a lien on your property. This is the collateral - the security - for the mortgagee who has provided the security instrument. This lien is recorded within public records - likely at a county courthouse or similar establishment.
- Ownership of the property is then yours and cannot be transferred to anyone else until you have paid off the amount required to reverse the lien.
- Even if your property is mortgaged, you still own the property wholly and completely. Nobody else, not even the mortgagee has title to the property.
- The only right that your mortgage gives to the mortgagee over your property is to sell it to recover funds in the case that you do not pay off your debt. This is the dreaded process referred to as foreclosure.
- Should the mortgage be used for security, then the foreclosure must progress through the court system in order to be legal in the majority of circumstances. This type of foreclosure is referred to as a judicial foreclosure.
Obviously there is much more to mortgages than this, but these are the basic foundations upon which the mortgaging system has been constructed.
MORE RESOURCES updated Mon. March / 08 / 2021
Today's mortgage refinance rates — 30-year rates sit at the lowest seen in 13 days | March 5, 2021 - Fox Business
Today’s mortgage refinance rates mixed — one key rate drops while another rises | March 2, 2021 - Fox Business
Today’s mortgage refinance rates mixed — one key rate drops while another rises | March 2, 2021 Fox Business
Today's mortgage and refinance rates: March 7, 2021 | Rates go down Business Insider
Can refinancing a mortgage hurt my credit score? Fox Business
Best mortgage refinance lenders in 2021 Bankrate.com
Best cash-out refinance lenders in 2021 Bankrate.com
Mortgage And Refinance Rates Today, Mar. 8 | Rates steady The Mortgage Reports
Mortgage rates are falling to unprecedented lows in 2021 — refinance now to save money - Q13 FOX (Seattle)
Mortgage rates are falling to unprecedented lows in 2021 — refinance now to save money Q13 FOX (Seattle)
How to refinance an FHA loan | Mortgage Chase News & Stories
Mortgage Recast: How to Reamortize and Save Money Credible News
Can Closing Costs Change On The Closing Disclosure? The Mortgage Reports
2021 Maine first-time homebuyer assistance programs Bankrate.com
David Hochberg: Can homeowners refinance after forbearance? WGN Radio - Chicago
3 signs you should refinance your mortgage right now Fox Business
How do I get the most out of my mortgage refinance? Fox Business
Top 5 mortgage refinance questions answered Fox Business
How to decide if you should refinance your mortgage Fox Business
Pros and cons of a cash-out mortgage refinance Fox Business
How to refinance your mortgage Fox Business
Mortgage refinance: Everything you need to know Fox Business
Mortgage refinance rates continue hitting record lows – here’s how to get the best deal now - Fox Business
Mortgage refinance rates continue hitting record lows – here’s how to get the best deal now Fox Business
What are the hidden costs of refinancing a mortgage? Fox Business
Who's exempt from the new mortgage refinance fee? Fox Business
Everything You Should Know About The New Mortgage Refinancing Fee That Goes Into Effect Dec. 1 - Forbes
Everything You Should Know About The New Mortgage Refinancing Fee That Goes Into Effect Dec. 1 Forbes
How to refinance your mortgage in 5 easy steps Fox Business
Mortgage refinance applications soar despite a new fee that increases the cost - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Mortgage refinance applications soar despite a new fee that increases the cost Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Refinancing your mortgage? Don’t make this mistake Fox Business
4 ways to get lower mortgage refinance rates Fox Business
Despite low mortgage interest rates, homeowners should research the caveats before reﬁnancing - Seattle Times
Despite low mortgage interest rates, homeowners should research the caveats before reﬁnancing Seattle Times
The best mortgage refinance lenders of March 2021 Business Insider
A record 19.4 million homeowners can now save big on a mortgage refinance, as rates hit another new low - CNBC
A record 19.4 million homeowners can now save big on a mortgage refinance, as rates hit another new low CNBC
5 reasons to refinance your mortgage right now HousingWire
How to Refinance Your Home | Home Lending Chase News & Stories
10 things to know before refinancing your mortgage Fox Business
3 Mortgage Refinance Strategies to Consider in 2021 The Motley Fool
Complete Checklist of Mortgage Refinancing Requirements Credible News
10 tips for getting the best mortgage refinance rate, from checking your credit report to choosing the right lender - Business Insider
10 tips for getting the best mortgage refinance rate, from checking your credit report to choosing the right lender Business Insider
Jumbo Mortgage Refinance Rates for March 2021 NextAdvisor
USDA Construction Loans | Buy Land & Build A Home With USDA The Mortgage Reports
How to get a low-cost mortgage refinance Bankrate.com